1966 Vitesse Mk1 1600 System Water Flush

martyn wright

Hi All!  Is there a specific way I can Flush the Water System on my Vitesse?  I have not fitted the new radiator or any of the pipes as yet.  The car has been standing without water/coolant for 20 years or so?  I have however cleaned the Thermostat Housing and cleaned a small amount of rust gathered in the bottom.  Cheers martyn

Flush the block, rad and heater separately. Don't forget to open the drain tap on the side of block, by the exhaust manifold. Flush the water both ways.

You can buy a flush treatment which you add to the coolant. If you use one follow the instruction on the container. After using one you should fully flush this out of the cooling system as above.

I refill with 33% antifreeze mix and use de-ionized (purified) water.

You may need to replace the hoses before filling with the above.

Dave

Yup,

I've done it, it works, but you don't want to leave it in too long, soda and aluminium don't get along! Having said that there's no precision engineered aluminium in the cooling system. I left it in almost a week, around 50 miles. 

Doug

34 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Thanks for the info gents!  The problem I have is The Car is not running!  All the hoses(New) and the Rad(New) are not on the vehicle?  Cheers martyn

For an initial flush, that is ideal. 

Push a hose onto the heater inlet, flush through. Then the outlet, flush until clear. Repeat process a few times until no more crud comes out.

Onto the engine. Remove Flush the inlet manifold pipe back and forth. Then the under-manifold pipe.

Remove the block drain, h=near the back under the manifolds. Shove the hose in the front of the engine , several choices but the others may need blocking. Should get a flow of water out the block drain, but may require a wire coathanger etc to get that area clear. Very important to get it all out. Then shove the hose against the block drain to reverse flush the block. Keep going around the engine until no more crud comes out.

Once the rad/hoses are fitted you could try a chemical flush to finish the job, I use holts speedflush, under £5 when I last bought it. Seems quick and effective. 

47 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Thanks for the info gents!  The problem I have is The Car is not running!  All the hoses(New) and the Rad(New) are not on the vehicle?  Cheers martyn

...and when it is, fill with fresh water only. Run to temperature, check for leaks, adjust or seal as necessary then refill with proper coolant. This not only flushes out the remnant of any flushing agent but saves on wasting coolant when it drips onto the floor. It may only be a few drips but I'm tighter than a duck's proverbial so it all helps.

• 1 year later...

What’s the best place to flush the block. The drain tap being one end, which hose is best to fire water down to wash through. Currently getting no water out of the block tap after running holts rad clean through the system. Heater and rad have been flushed and are good, but can’t get anything out of the block tap. 

Unscrew the tap; it may itself be blocked or there may be a huge buildup of silt in behind. It unscrews out of the block just like a normal bolt. Once off the block rummage about in behind with a long wire, such as an unbent coathanger - it's amazing what might fall out.

At the other end just disconnect the radiator top hose and let the water run down from highest to lowest point; i just stick the end of a hose pipe in there and let it run through.