GT6/Spitfire. Suitable colour for wheels

chrishawley

Any advice?

I'm planning to repaint the wheels on my GT6 (1970) and I generally use basecoat and clear. I would like to get a silver that is reasonably authentic for the period.  But I haven't  got anything original to match against.

Could anyone help with suggestions with a paint name or code which might be appropriate?

I've tried a few test swatches with various silvers (Fiat, Mercedes etc) but nothing looks right; too bright, too much sparkle. So I'd appreciate any suggestions rather than stabbing in the dark

Cheers

C

The TSSC Club shop supply "Spitfire/ GT6 Wheel Silver- 400ml of cellulose acurately matched to the original factory finish on the later Spitfire and GT6 steel wheels, finish of with the clear lacquer."

I used this on a TR6 wheel, it was pretty close in colour to the other wheels on the TR and on my GT6. 

They were silver some years, and white some years. Yours may be correct but my 1970 Mk3 should have silver (I've had them done in white because I like it that way, but then I've also rebuilt the whole car as a pre-facelift one... except the windscreen frame colour)

I'm fairly sure the very early and the late were silver, meaning that all Mk4 (oval hole) wheels should be silver.

Since the rebuild I've gone over to wires - yes I know all the pros and cons but I think the car looks great with them. 

The white steels + virtually brand new hub caps are available if anybody wants them (no tyres). They are a little bit rough as they were rather aggressively shot blast.

38 minutes ago, PeterH said:

Since the rebuild I've gone over to wires - yes I know all the pros and cons but I think the car looks great with them. 

The white steels + virtually brand new hub caps are available if anybody wants them (no tyres). They are a little bit rough as they were rather aggressively shot blast.

I hope they were not shot-blasted but grit blasted?

1 hour ago, SpitFire6 said:

I hope they were not shot-blasted but grit blasted? 

I don't know what they did with them. I had used the company before - they did the chassis + some jobs for work, all of which was good.  I wasn't at all happy with the result. Must have been the apprentice on Friday afternoon.

Chic Doig in Scotland used shot to refurb my steel wheels and chassis. 
A short time after I noticed rust where the ferrous shot was painted over on the wheels. Chassis was rotten ten years later due to the Shot rusting internally.

Should have used non-ferrous abrasive.

54 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

Should have used non-ferrous abrasive.

It would have been okay had it been cleaned off, that seems like poor preparation before painting, although the bare metal will rust amazingly quickly if not coated with something.

I use aluminium oxide, good grit qualities and doesn't wear out too quickly. I tried some kind of coal residue recently and it was rubbish.