Brown and white wiring?

Jeffds1360

Found this unconnected to anything. Comes from main harness at back of battery. As far as I can tell, everything works. Book related white and brown to oil pressure warning light. Mine is fine.

Any clues?

P.S. what's that knob all about on battery earth?

I have a hidden pull/push knob in glovebox??? May be related to vehicle security?

20200724_133027.jpg

Edited by Jeffds1360
Extra info

The Lucas wire code for Brown / White is ammeter to dynamo control box OR ammeter to main alternator control. Looking at the x-section of the wire in the photo it may well have been for that - if the car at some stage had an ammeter.

Urghhhh. Time to get dash off and investigation started!. No sign of having had an ammeter but.... who knows :) previous owners unknown. does the dash normally move quite a few mm upwards? My steering column is vertically challenged!

7 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

No sign of having had an ammeter but.... who knows :) previous owners unknown

As many classics have a separate gauge mount fitted, it is always possible that it could have been removed when the car was up for sale. Additionally, not all owners use the correct Lucas colour wiring for making looms; I am certain we have all experienced that.

thats only a 17amp lucar not adequate for ammeters 

more  likely from a previous additional must have long gone .

the earth knob is a disconnect still sold in club shop  ,  its an  anti theft device remove the knob , keep it in your pocket  , push car home as it wont start then find knob in mac pocket

when searching for house keys       Ha !

pete 

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

thats only a 17amp lucar not adequate for ammeters 

more  likely from a previous additional must have long gone .

the earth knob is a disconnect still sold in club shop  ,  its an  anti theft device remove the knob , keep it in your pocket  , push car home as it wont start then find knob in mac pocket

when searching for house keys       Ha !

pete 

Or why not a hidden push-pull switch that cuts the electricity,that you forget have actioned and have a 30 second panic attack when car won't start .

33 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Or why not a hidden push-pull switch that cuts the electricity,that you forget have actioned and have a 30 second panic attack when car won't start .

When I had a TR7 I fitted a cunning circuit on the fuel pump (I think the electric pump was a PO mod but it had a Sprint engine so that's no surprise). There was a little button that you had to press as you turned on the ignition - pressing it later was no good - to get the fuel pump to run. This was located under the vinyl trim around the gearstick, so it was invisible but readily to hand if you knew about it. Worked great.

Then I lent the car to a friend for his honeymoon. It took a lot more than 30 seconds for him to remember...