Rotoflex Reassembly

Alex59

Hello,

I need your help, the donuts and the leaf on my triumph vitesse was in a very bad state. So i decide to change it.

I bought new donuts and found an old original leaf in very good condition. Now i try to reassemble but without success.

I can't attach the vertical link to the leaf. The drive shaft (inner shaft) touch the chassis an blocked the rotation of the vertical link to allowe to attach the vertical link on the leaf.

When i remove the inner shaft, i can attach the vertical link on the leaf.

I already used the tool to raise the leaf so i don't understand why i'm blocked.

I'd like to know if you have some tips and tricks to reassemble.

If you want, i 'll make some photo to explain my problem.

Thanks for your answer

Alex

Ok, i read it and i saw this sentence : "Assemble all links leaving the top vertical link bolt till last "

So, the link between the inner shaft and the differential must be done befor to try to do the one between the vertical link and the leaf.

That's why the jack under the vertical link is needed.

Ok so i was wrong in the order of reassembly, i thought that the link on the differential was the last one.

Just now, Alex59 said:

Ok, i read it and i saw this sentence : "Assemble all links leaving the top vertical link bolt till last "

So, the link between the inner shaft and the differential must be done befor to try to do the one between the vertical link and the leaf.

That's why the jack under the vertical link is needed.

Ok so i was wrong in the order of reassembly, i thought that the link on the differential was the last one.

Hi , this is the way I did , I’m sure there are others , all in all it’s a pig of a job . Good luck 

Paul 

That's correct.Leave the spring eye bolt until last. Jack the spring with the spring lifter as high as you can. You should be nearly lifting the car off the axle stands, if the spring is high enough. Then push the vertical link in towards the diff to try and line up the spring eye bolt hole and vertical link holes, so that you can push and tap the bolt in. Paul's right it's a pig of a job. It's a bit easier if you can get someone to help.

Gav

When I've done it, this is how I made it work :

1.  start with the drive shaft bolted in place to the diff

2.  Fit the TOP of the vertical link to the spring eye

3.  Fit the outboard end of the lower wishbone to the bottom of the vertical link

4.  With the spring lifter in place, and a jack under the vertical link, wrestle the INBOARD end of the lower wishbone into place and pop the bolt in.  As part of this process, I also use a ratchet strap between the vertical link and the chassis to pull it all together.

And yes, the car ends up very high in the air, with the bar of the spring lifter almost touching the wheel arch !

Beware, there can be an awful lot of stored energy in this arrangement, and if something slips things go flying !!!!

• Like 1

another helper is a tapered chisel, a long,n

this goes thru the VLs holes an can be at quite an angle whenst first put  in

but cos its tapered, it can be pulled aboot, so holes int VL line up wid spring

another tweek I use is t,put a point ont bolt going in

this way it,ll feed in easier if slightly off

• Like 1