Vitesse gearbox replacement

Rogues

If my memory is correct can't you hard chrome then grind shafts to repair any wear? I think a company called Spindle Services may be able to help, I've never used them and no idea of the costs but if your back's against the wall........

Iain

i had a 1300fwd crank thrust face metal sprayed in the factory as we reclaimed mainshafts ans stub axles etc it worked but the grinding was a bit chattered 

dont remember why it was difficult , maybe it was side faced not diameters  

but it worked and saved a crank ,weld new lugs on the bearing cap  to save the block .......... and it lasted 10 yrs 

Pete

17 hours ago, Iain T said:

If my memory is correct can't you hard chrome then grind shafts to repair any wear? I think a company called Spindle Services may be able to help, I've never used them and no idea of the costs but if your back's against the wall........

Iain

What can be done and what makes economic sense to do aren’t always the same.....

Metal spraying and electro-plating are both possible if the damage isn’t too serious but neither are cheap. Also only really applicable to outside surfaces, so no use for laygear cluster internal bearing surfaces.

Nick

Hi All.

How strange, I logged on today also to look for guidance on Vitesse 2L mark 2 convertible with noisy gearbox and found this nearly identical issue. - I have no O/D.

I, perhaps naively, thought it would be knackered bearings and a case of buying a reconditioning kit and struggling through the instructions in the service manual with bits and pieces of advice from you guys and local garages. Am I to understand it is beyond my pay grade and that the available bits from rimmer bros and the like may be a bit naff?

I would be glad of all opinions!  - Should I go whole hog and fit O/D at same time?

Thanks.

Paul.

gear box rebuilds is a interesting diy job ,  the noise can be from a number of areas that useage has been unkind   untill you have a look see you cant pre judge what will be needed 

adding an overdrive does need a new mainshaft  eg tkc923   or you up the spec to later shafts   then it starts to go ££££s

what sort of driving do you do  , and where are you located  ???

Pete

Hi Pete.

Very new to this game, currently only casual driving, I have rebuilt the car from its bits up to now so do eventually get there but it looks as if I may need special tools for the gearbox.

The noise seems suspiciously like what I used to call the thrust bearing? Noisy even in neutral, quiet as soon as I press the clutch. Car has only done 46,000 genuine miles.

thoughts?

20 minutes ago, paul@corvon.net said:

The noise seems suspiciously like what I used to call the thrust bearing? Noisy even in neutral, quiet as soon as I press the clutch. Car has only done 46,000 genuine miles.

thoughts?

Sounds like it; mine used to grumble when I released the clutch in neutral, a definite spinning / whirring noise that sounded quite loud inside the car. It's now stopped, or certainly hasn't been as noticeable recently.

theres 4 bearings in the gearbox that are turning when in neutral and clutch engaged (none when the clutch is disengaged (unless you count the clutch thrust realease bearing)) which are input shaft main ball race bearing bearing, input to output needle roller and the two laygear needle roller bearings. If the noise stops in 4th gear then that discounts the first leaving only the three needle roller bearings. These are cheap to buy but unfortunately run directly on major component surfaces which is where the problem lies as if these are damaged the overhaul gets quite a bit more expensive and the quality of spare parts comes into it. Theres no way to assess this without a physical examination of the bearing surfaces...

devon theres agood group in devon try to get to one of their meets,

too far from luton (the one in bedfordshire  not out the back of teighmouth)

if you just load the clutch pedal without realy depressing doe the noise change

and also test by when idleing load the gear stick  quite firmly towards 3rd dont press clutch does the noise change 

Pete