Herald Rear trunnion to link bolt... struggling!

Do I really have to resort to a hacksaw? Even with link in a vice on the bench my hacksaws cannot get near :(

No hope of it knocking out.

I suppose I can wrap a blade in a rag and go at it? Hope that is not the bush I can see on one side! Other side is so tight I see nothing.

This is not the experiences I wanted with my 'new' car  :(

Im afraid thats about it unless you can take the blade out of the hacksaw then reassemble it with the blade in position (maybe at 90º?) to cut the bolt...

An air driven tool is available and would make this job a doddle but not many of us have that luxury☹️ You should be able to move the components one way or another to give a slight gap or if necessary cut through part of the bush itself. Then youll need patience and slow progress possibly spread over several sessions and certainly a few cuppas! 

Its the way you bond with the car and 30 years later wouldnt dream of parting with it😍

Aaaaargh! Again.....

Ok lads. Tomorrow. Wife moaning about shower head dripping and toilet flushing for too long so I've got priorities. One washer and one clear the grit should not take long. I do love it really but I've missed the summer now :)

All the part suppliers seem to charge a fiver postage for tiny bits! All prices within pennies though. Rimmers won this time.

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Aaaaargh! Again.....

Ok lads. Tomorrow. Wife moaning about shower head dripping and toilet flushing for too long so I've got priorities. One washer and one clear the grit should not take long. I do love it really but I've missed the summer now :)

All the part suppliers seem to charge a fiver postage for tiny bits! All prices within pennies though. Rimmers won this time.

Only a fiver??? I'm used to suppliers charging postage which exceeds the cost of the parts, and it's totally unnecessary - take front brake discs as an example; I was variously quoted £29, £28, £19 and £12 for carriage on a pair of front discs and eventually Jumblemaster on eBay (Mevspares) posted a pair for £7.50, so in total discs and carriage cost less than certain suppliers were charging for discs alone. Why can one supplier do it for a quarter of what others are asking?

Well. that was 'easy' !! :)

10 minutes for one side which was bolt only and 30 minutes for bush and bolt. The hacksaw got straight in, few score marks on spring bolt cover and on back plate but not a problem. Recommended method.. do not be scared. It was a doddle.

having a break now, then fit up the trunnion kit and slide it together. New bolt not arrived so I'll use the spring bolt and fit that last when the new one comes.

Fingers crossed that should be it :) :) :)   

Sorry to bother you all again but I've failed (again) to get the repair kit to fit This is probably bread and butter to most of you lads so can you take me through it please. So... I cleaned out the trunnion and loaded some grease in as recommended in one of my manuals, pushed in both nylon bushes, well... tapped them in as quite tight  (kit from ifs_13) with the smaller (large hole) shim washer behind them and proceeded to put the rubber sealing ring in place around them. No hope! It is square section which I thought was good but could I heck get them to stretch around the bush! First fail.

Had a break... thought may as well  push the steel bush in.... push!! ...not a hope, tap tap tap and it entered, tap tap tap further in , woopeeee. I thought, tap tap tap... seemed flush bu not sure how far to go so checked opposite side and... man...the other nylon bush had 'bulged and cracked the nylon flange into pieces??? It's shot and will not budge. Messed about a bit and found the outer shim washer does not fit over the inner one (is it meant to?) Started tapping the edge of the inner washer to get the outer one to fit over the inner but gave up and come in for a drink or two.

Fortunately I got two kits so have spares but where am I going wrong?

14 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Fortunately I got two kits so have spares but where am I going wrong?

It may be the kit; some of them are pattern kits and the fit isn't 100%.  I usually fit one side first - the more difficult side with blue plastic trunnion, metal sealing washer and metal bush so that the metal tube sticks out into the middle of the space inside the hub. You may need to chamfer the leading edge so that it will fit into the other half of the bush, possibly softening the bush in boiling water may help, and use plenty of grease. Push it in gently but firmly as too much force will break something and watch out for sharp edges - I've used a vice to give gentle but square-on pressure, don't forget to use spacers, even the head of a bolt put down into the bush, to avoid crushing the thin cups.

The rubber seal is square profile and it will fit round the bush, but paradoxically it helps if the bush is dry and grease free so it can grip. It will eventually stay on long enough for the outer cap to go on and then you have to balance the entire thing to get it to fit into the vertical link.

I fitted four over lockdown; two old kits which fitted first time and two new replacements which caused a lot of faffing about.

35 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

and if you go  decent   poly i dont think there is any seal of nasty rusting tin cups ...but i dont remember !!

Pete

Have poly ones in the rear trunnions in my Vitesse, just two top bat bushes and stainless crush tube as I remember. Found quality of original type wanting, have wondered if the bad fit is caused by original measurements being in imperial then converted to metric and rounded up or down, best bet is crap manufacturer to cheapest cost possible.

Regards

Paul

Not to worry, I'll sort something. Back in the 60's there was nothing but a couple of rubber washers on the link!!

I'm worried the inside trunnion has a build up as it sat for 30 years indoors. I'm going to clean it out with a bit sandpaper round the little finger :) 

Do both the cup washers rotate with the link or do they rub on each other?

I guess the bolt and steel bush rotate with the link and the nylon bushes don't move in the trunnion so its the steel bush to nylon bush that need lubrication? Still waiting for nuts and bolts so I'll change my oil today.

Is "MANNOL Safari SAE 20W-50 Classic Cars Mineral Engine Oil API SL/CF" any good for ours? It seems a bit cheap at £16 for 7 Lt. ???

Edited by Jeffds1360
It said bolt not Bush???

Coppaslip or similar between bolt and steel sleeve and then nylon bush to sleeve is a bit of a grey area but I cant see grease will do any harm especially in the cup washer area (reckon they do move against each other)....

Havent heard of that oil before.

21 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Is "MANNOL Safari SAE 20W-50 Classic Cars Mineral Engine Oil API SL/CF" any good for ours? It seems a bit cheap at £16 for 7 Lt. ???

I was wondering when this would come up Jeff. I only know a couple of people that have used it and no complaints so far...... I bought some 10w/40 for my John Deere ride on mower and now i very rarely have to top it up unlike with the Castrol i was using before. Once i have used my stock of Morris golden film i might give it a try. Should be ok being German???

Tony. 

Ride on mower!.... big lawn? My flymo does me :)  

Morris golden film...there is a blast from the past!

having a break waiting for postie.

love the car really. Once sorted  and used for a while, I may p/x for vitesse mk2 or even a Stag if someone wants to "downsize " ??  :)

1 hour ago, poppyman said:

One and a half acre's :(  It was fun a few years ago, but sadly getting/got/am a bit knackered now to find it fun.

Tony. 

I have a Castelgarden Ride On; totally knackered and every year seems like it's about to blow up, but it struggles on and does the job. I do the initial cut with it then tidy up with the push-mower. I just put the iPod and headphones on and sit quite happily for an hour or two, although it's got no brakes and the steering wheel turns for an amazing distance before it transmits to the wheels. Bit like a Triumph, really!

Incidentally my biggest problem is disposing of the grass cuttings; my local Recycling Centre took my name and details last week and accused me of running a business. This is because each of the three major areas of grass fills about four rubble sacks apiece - the huge builders versions - so it takes three trips with my trailer to dispose of it all. 

Can't you did what we did, Tony - fence a large part of it off and call it a paddock / wildflower garden or the like?

Wife won't have it Colin..... I did fence an area off to dump the cuttings so at least i don't have to go to the dump which is a bonus as our nearest is 12 miles away. I did toy with idea of letting a pal graze some sheep on it, but then i would have to clear up the sh*t. I does give me a bit of  a break though and its not to hard on the back or my heart if i was pushing a mower around :)  The pro's and con's of country living i think Colin.........

Tony. 

• Haha 1

Well....am I addressing country gentlemen?    Very nice! I dug up my carrots and lettuce and am seeding some wildlife flowers as the bird feeder attracts rats! (Wife is deeply into birds) we only see starlings and wood pigeons  with the odd blue tit and goldfinch also a Robin today!

Should the steel bush slide tightly but nicely into the nylon bushes? Mine is so tight. I don't like it!...needs seriously tapping in!

Getting another kit tomorrow and I'll see what that's like. Sorry to get back to the mundane 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Blaaaaah :)

Or mayb e Baaa.......... sheep? I've got a cow next door. No milk, she just moans  is my garden (maybe 10x7) big enough for chickens? I like fresh eggs 

Perfect for chickens, and you won't need your flymo anymore Jeff..... You won't have any grass, just nice fresh egg's :) 

Tony.

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Should the steel bush slide tightly but nicely into the nylon bushes? Mine is so tight. I don't like it!...needs seriously tapping in!

It should slide in fairly easily but not loose. If it needs major persuasion then something's wrong - quite likely the kit.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NonMember said:

It should slide in fairly easily but not loose. If it needs major persuasion then something's wrong - quite likely the kit.

I think a suitable rod needs to be found and then, wrapped with abrasive paper, used to increase the bushes ID slightly...

• Like 1

I was thinking of that. Plus squaring off the edge to facilitate fitting the rubber ring! BUT... Why should we have to do that? The damb things should be fit for purpose. 

It's a learning curve to see who provides decent kits and at 7-12 quid a pop it is out of order. We should create an approved list!

My recommended kit should arrive tomorrow. My first supplier was mentioned near the start of this and no one commented.  I will do so afterwards.  Off to feed the starlings now :)