Bottle Jack repairs or renovations

Colin Lindsay

I bought a 6 ton bottle jack about 2 years ago in order to work on our Ifor Williams Horse Trailer; I didn't reckon my 2 - ton trolley jack was up to the job. I spent £25 on one of these from a local tool shop - they were on special purchase offer - and on first use, it started to pump oil out around the neck at the base of the ram. I put no pressure on it at all - the smaller tube came up, made contact with the underside of the axle, the larger one came up and as soon as it struck the lifting point it just sat there while oil came out round the base. No lifting, no heavy pumping, just gentle pressure. I took it back and got a replacement which worked - once. First time no bother, second time maybe six months later, same fault - before it even tries to lift, or take any strain at all, oil comes out round the base of the ram. The tool shop is closed due to Lockdown and reports are they may never reopen, so no chance of a refund. If I wanted to refurbish this one, what's the best plan of action?

12603391-2DB7-4315-92F4-B9AAD21FD693_1_105_c.jpg.164fe6d6e657ee018505b16d2b7ff525.jpg E10B80B6-506E-4627-94C4-BF1D59F2B730_1_105_c.jpg.2e887560931c3778439023c1b1f306a4.jpg

there a places that sell hydraulic ram seals for jacks but it looks a bit unbranded , how do you know  just what the heck is it and from where 

have you tried to strip it down to see just whats failed , is it a cup or 0 ring arrangement  on the main piston 

ive got a pair of smaller similar looking ones came with the lift up ramps . not used yet they look a bit suspect in a nice chinese red  !!!

what happend to the good old british kite mark ???

Pete

• Like 1

The horse trailer weights about 9 metric tonnes, just under an Imperial ton, so no huge worries but it's a four wheeler and it's really only to lift one wheel an inch off the ground while I free up the brakes, which have a habit of sticking when it's not used for a month or two. I'm just wondering if this jack is saveable and if I can improve on the original...

On 04/09/2020 at 19:50, Colin Lindsay said:

0.9!!! 0.9!!! Missed the nought. Was going to say I missed nothing but I obviously missed something. 

Reminds me of the classroom when asked to calculate the volume to do a driveway. One person calculated it would take several train wagon loads!😂

I would throw away the jack and get a new quality one. Sometimes the seal kit is not much cheaper than a new jack.

31 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

The only option I have - rather than dump it - is to repair to destruction. Maybe the seals have codes on them that can identify them. I'll assume I start with the big nut on the top?