6 cylinder coolant flow

DrKai

4 hours ago, DrKai said:

But if it's really bad I may add a water/ oil heat exchanger. 

I don't think that will help with warm-up times. They're usually reckoned to take advantage of the faster coolant warm-up to help get the oil up to temperature faster.

I haven't studied the BMW system but the ones I looked at some years back included a two-way valve to allow water to be circulated within the engine only - effectively doing what the thermostat does.

Yes that's basically what the controller does although there's some limitation to how slow exactly it can flow due to localised boiling. BMW does in deed have a biomass system but the pump itself has been successfully used on a lot of race/ sprint cars without :) only mentioned it as most people think Davies Craig when considering ewp and these push a hell of a lot more water. 

So from what I can see the irregular port leads directly to the thermostat with a small additional hole to pump housing. The rectangular one leads directly to the pump housing. From that the logical conclusion is that the rectangular port on the head receives cool water and the irregular outputs the warm

no no no😂 the thermostat is the discharge of the pump so anything receiving a supply of water must get it from there. The rectangular port goes to the centre of the impeller which is the pump suction so its impossible to have the flow any other way....

Sorry Johnny you've lost me. As far as I can understand the pump sucks cool water from the bottom radiator hose. I'm looking at the pump housing and the rectangular port is the one connected to the pump therefore I assumed the cool water being sucked up by the pump is forced out through the rectangular port. The warm water. Then leaves via the irregular port. If the pump was sucking from the rectangular port surely that would mean it was pumping in to the bottom radiator hose as it can't be sucking from 2 sides of the pump at once? What am I missing?

Kai,

I'm sorry that so many have inserted their false coins into the mechanism of clarity, jamming it for you!

Please read my post above again: "Look at the back of the OE water pump housing - the port on the right goes up to the thermostat.      The port on the left goes down to the  water pump.   Obviously when you look at the front of the head the positions are reversed!"

So looking at the front of the head, the port on the left is the exit, the port on the right is the entry.

John

3 hours ago, DrKai said:

Sorry Johnny you've lost me. As far as I can understand the pump sucks cool water from the bottom radiator hose. I'm looking at the pump housing and the rectangular port is the one connected to the pump therefore I assumed the cool water being sucked up by the pump is forced out through the rectangular port. The warm water. Then leaves via the irregular port. If the pump was sucking from the rectangular port surely that would mean it was pumping in to the bottom radiator hose as it can't be sucking from 2 sides of the pump at once? What am I missing?

I think perhaps one of the problems is that it must be remembered we're talking about a centrifugal pump here so regardless what that sketch shows the water has to enter at the centre of the impeller and gets flung to the outside where it leaves by a hole to the thermostat housing. The water coming from the radiator via the bottom hose mixes with the manifold and head returns in a chamber that feeds to the centre of the impeller. You can see the entry point as the inner hole in this photo and then for maximum efficiency the impeller 'blades' have to run as close as possible to the intermediate ring:

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, johny said:

In fact this second picture is useful as it shows

... that the rectangular hole is deep and feeds from the far side, which is the impeller outlet, while the irregular hole feeds up to the thermostat with only a small hole to the suction chamber. This photo is even clearer:

WaterPumpHousing.jpg.49132e8261770b82c1069990fe2f0563.jpg

So sorry, johny, you're just plain wrong.

The irregular port also includes (up near the thermostat) the temperature gauge sender and the feed for the inlet manifold (and car) heater. Both of these obviously want the hottest water available, which is the stuff coming out of the head. Water pump pushes cooler water into the engine, hot water coming out gets split three ways - radiator, heater and a small bypass for when the other two are closed off.