Are 2 litre cylinder heads interchangeable?

milesmiles999

Hi there, newbie here!!

I'm probably about to ask a load of dumb questions!

I'm about to rebuild the engine on my MK2 Vitesse and have a 'spare' refurbished cylinder head, which is stamped 312388 and 218225, making it (I think) a MK2 2000 head. Can I use this as a straight swap on my Vitesse 2ltr block? Or does this cause problems with push rods, piston choice etc.?

Apologies if this topic has already been covered & any advice would be great thanks.

Cheers

Miles

Hello Miles,

The Mk2 head is visually different from the earlier Vitesse heads - that alone should help to confirm what you have.

The inlet and exhaust manifold placement against the head is completely different and I have attached a couple of photos of a Mk2 head. If what you have looks like this, then you have a Mk2 head.

To compare, the cylinder head against the red background is from an earlier Vitesse - you can see the porting is in a straight line.

Regards.

Richard. 

DSC00104.JPG

DSC00114.JPG

Vitesse Mk1 Cylinder Head.jpg

218255 is essentially a 2.5 head, also used on later MK3 GT6 and 2000 saloons BUT these cars had domed pistons to correct the compression ratio (the combustion chambers are sized for the later displacement 2.5 engine, so domed pistons required for the 2 litre variants)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone for the help on this topic, I've now stripped the engine back with the head off which I'm working on. Re the block, piston 1 moves side to side a little by hand which I'm guessing is not a desirable feature and I imagine what was causing the rattle that prompted the whole process. I imagine I need to get the block rebored, or do you sometimes get away with just new rings?

Re the block, the waterways don't look great, but per the start of this post, I have a 'spare' block which went with the 'spare' head that I'm not now using. My question is this....can I use the GT6 block (stamped 308759) with my Vitesse Mk2 head. The only obvious visual difference to the Vitesse block (stamped 308143) is that the GT6 block has a rebate at the top of the cylinder bores. The GT6 block is in much better condition than the Vitesse block, hence trying to use that instead.

All help as ever very much appreciated! Cheers

Miles