Multi meter croc clips

daverclasper

I have a fairly new multi meter (therefore maybe standardised  cable sockets?), though like to be able to use croc clips as well as the standard probes. Only stuff I can see on E bay is Chinese, which is often ok, though the clips look like they just push on to the cables/probes supplied (clips also supplied on their as well, though looks to me like probe tips can vary).

Anyone used these or other alternatives/ideas please?.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by daverclasper

They all seem pretty generic on the cheaper multimeters. And yes, I keep my garage one with a croc clip on the earth/neg lead, otherwise I run out of hands.

I think most will be chinese sourced. Or buy the banana plugs and some nice flexi wire and some croc clips and make your own?

The plugs usually used on leads to connect to multimeters and other electronic test equipment (at least when I was actively working with electronics in the 1970s!) are 4mm Banana Plugs.  Don't ask me how they got the name- possibly due to the curved spring used to ensure a firm connection.  The other end of meter leads usually terminates in a probe, or possibly a 4mm plug with a proble fitted on to it. 

If you want to make your own leads the plugs are available from the usual internet sources, search for nickel banana plugs.  You don't need to pay the high prices for the gold plated speaker plugs, the normal equipment connection plugs are nickel plated brass and if you don't have a soldering iron they are available with screw connections.  Most crocodile clips will fit onto a 4mm plug, try and use insulated clips!  I don't think that chinese sourcing will be much of an issue given the amount of use test leads are likely to get. 

I find it useful to have extra test leads terminated with male and female Lucar spade connectors as well as crocodile clips, this definitely reduces the need for three hands. Also a long lead 3-4m can be very useful for checking cable continuity from one end of the car to the other, or running power to test components in situ. Standard car wiring wire can be used for test leads, they usually use a more flexible wire but survivability in garage use would probably be helped by heavier wire at the expense of a bit of flexibility.

On a slight deviation I bought several sets of the croc clip jumper leads and spent half a day taking them apart and soldering the clips to the cables
Most of the leads I have seen have the copper of the wire folded back over the insulation and the clip 'crimped' over it which causes all sorts of grief when using them.

Adrian