Paint Equivalents and a Question

Paulfc

Hi,

The Club Shop lists Pimento Red as code 72/CAB. What does the CAB refer to?

Also, my local paint supplier doesn’t recognise Triumph code 72 so is there a RAL, BS4800 or other standard colour code that’s an equivalent or “near as” ?

Thanks

My understanding is that the colours were originally designated by a 2 digit code, all the reds ended in "2", all the blues ended in "6" etc.  The system then changed to a three letter code, CAB is just the later code for Pimento Red.

image.png.65d1c32d95f6f7004824612aaba4b407.png

Thanks one and all, it’s the internal boot area I’m tackling so not critical if it’s not a perfect match.

Any wise words about using aerosol “rattle” cans for such a job? It’s a difficult area to access with a spray gun as I’ve chose not to strip out the tank, petrol pump etc. Is it possible to get a decent finish using aerosols and, if so, any advice on successful techniques?

Thanks.

Good preparation as always with paint, but with rattle cans, shake well and apply thinly. You can get a good finish - certainly good enough for inside the boot - but make sure the paint is well mixed, and apply thin coats, allowing time between so that the next coat won't sag or run.

• Thanks 1

When I spray undercoat in the garage, usually on freshly sandblasted parts and in a warm environment, I can recoat within an hour. I don't really have the 'expert' hard and fast rule, if it's a big collection of parts it can be another coat anything from two to four hours, and often overnight. The topcoat most recently has been black gloss and I allow it to dry completely, at least two hours for a fine coat, before usually turning the item around and spraying the other side; then back again after the same amount of time. A thin coat of 'normal' bodywork paint should be dry enough in a couple of hours to risk another without the first mixing and sagging. My garage is often very warm so that the paint dries within minutes so I use thin coats, almost see through, and plenty of them to build up the thickness.