Dashboard Veneer

rogerguzzi

Hello All

I am going to have a go at re veneering my dashboard this winter and change the guage layout.

What I can not decieded on is the colour or wood type?

I want a bit more colour and warmth than the standard English walnut but not the dark Burr walnut(to dark and to posh for a Spitfire in my opinion)

I was thinking of some thing like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271953028821?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

or this(should be Saplele)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141593292276?var=440731338862   

or this(should be Ash)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141593292276?var=440731338862

what has any one else used and photos please

Roger

Hi Roger

I share your opinion about the darker aftermarket finishes like burl walnut - to me they just don't look right. Some tips from hard-won experience when I refinished mine:

An old-fashioned sanding disc on a rubber pad on a drill proved the most effective way of removing the old finish, but the amount of white dust it generates is unreal. Prepare to emerge from your shed looking like a flour grader, and go through several dust masks!

Take special care around the instrument holes when sanding, it is easy to damage the old veneer, which is really thin. Sure, you will be re-veneering it all, but a keyed, flat surface for gluing on the new one is what you want.

I used four coats of yacht varnish, each flatted down and de-nibbed, before finishing the final one with T-cut, which will take any minor imperfections off the finished surface and leave a nice shine.

Happy sanding!

Steve C

Hello All

I have been making a mock up of the middle part of the dash and here is the result!

I am not fitting 2 temperature guages! a volt meter will be in lower position.

I am not sure about the brake warning light? I may fit a round one in the centre.

I think I may move the light switch to the right in place of rear hazzard switch and move that one down to bottom of dash.

I am going to send for some veneer samples.

Roger

post-44-0-25726900-1439571938_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-47896900-1439571952_thumb.jpg

Like it!

How about fitting a duel temperature and oil gauge then you've got room for a vacuum gauge!

A vacuum gauge is a wonderful thing, you can set the timing with it, you can set your mixture with it. My vacuum, recently, was dropping off, looked on line, air flow to the carbs! It was telling me my air filters needed changing!

Plus do you really need a clock? Fit an ammeter. A volt meter and an ammeter tell you different things. Voltmeter tells you the condition of the battery. An ammeter tells you the condition of the alternator.

Hello doughgt6

Now you have got me thinking I could put the clock in the passenger side(you can never have enough guages even if you don't understand them) just look at aircraft? I know they have 2 sets but that would just be SILLY :D

Roger

Indeed! There are never enough gauges! I put my oil, vacuum and ammeter on a panel mounted in the radio hole. Frustratingly I've not quite settled on where to put the battery condition.

I don't know if your going to do this but the factory fitted gauges have a green tinge when lit. So before I fitted additional gauges I took them apart and put in green transparent film so they would look the same.

What does the brake warning light do and how does it work? I need one!

Hello Dougbgt6
The brake warning light is fitted to the dual brake circuit cars, there is a valve with a piston in it that moves left or right if a circuit fails and this puts the light on via a switch mounted on it.
I comes on when you turn the ignition on it is wired in parallel with the oil warning light or it series?
I know this because mine came on some time ago while driving the car and I did not notice the oil warning light(bright day)and I have an oil pressure guage fitted.
I think I will just put a red light in the middle of the lower guages.

Roger

ps I fitted  green led's in the instruments as I found some of the green internal lenses were broken.

• 3 months later...

Hello All

This is my modified dashboard I have yet to varnish it.

I am going to use  this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151545279628?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As you can see I have replaced the pull switches with rocker type and moved the light switch.

It will not be to everybody's taste but I am pleased with the result.

This is the veneer I bought

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kevasingo-Kevazingo-Veneer-REAL-WOOD-Sheet-1200mm-x-440mm-47-x-17-inches-/252143319329?

Roger

post-44-0-44795200-1449568887_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

Here is 3 photos of the dash now it is varnished a trial fitting to sort out wiring changes.

I have yet to stain and varnish the steering wheel.

I am pleased with the result it is not difficult just takes time.

I have even fitted a small led to light up the heater controls.

Roger

post-44-0-65826900-1450614618_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-10146500-1450614633_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-87614700-1450614644_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello All

The Dashboard is all back in and working(a bit delayed as my poor mother passed away on 21st December)

I am happy with the result but do not want to do it for a living(not that I am going to start again at 70!)

I like the rocker switches in place of the pull type(not for the conkers set)

Roger

ps I may fit a lower output led in the vacuum gauge. and the 4 screws are to be replaced with I don't know what yet.

post-44-0-73732800-1454011841_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-74355400-1454011869_thumb.jpg

Roger, that looks fantastic!

Rimmers do a screw and cap washer pack which looks like the right thing, they should be a sort of bronze colour.  There are 20 of each in the pack as they are used on the tunnel and elsewhere. Bu it occurs to me you may not have countersunk the holes in the panel to accommodate the caps?

Sorry to hear about your Mum, I've been up in Scotland with my Mum (93) for most of January.

Hello Doug & John

I have put some flanged s/s screws(which I polished) in with some fibre washers under the head, I will find some clear ones or just make some out of plastic sheet.

My Mom was 93 she used to say she had passed her sell by date.

The steering wheel I bought for £30 at the TR register day to replace the 13" moto lita one and just stripped the old varnish off and stained a bit darker and used the same varnish as used on the dashboard and re polished the spokes.

It has made the car nicer to drive and not so heavy when parking etc(triumph knew what they were doing)

Roger

post-44-0-65387500-1454173892_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-64904300-1454173906_thumb.jpg