GT6: Rough revving + excessive fuel smell + reduced power + stalls at idle without choke

avivalasvegas

on top of all the ideas and failings I have run NGK BP5ES   for 18  years in both the hairy Vit6 and the  current mk2   2000 which just happens to have the worst set up and two HS4  but she doesnt mis a beat , most problems eminate from crap mixture and timing issues 

then add the lack of ceramic glaze   R type plugs  low grade fuels crappy fuel pumps and carbs not matched to the engine spec 

chuck in a lot of £££s and guess work and you have a car full of must haves you dont need  

well the suns out ,its too hot 

Pete

mud comes to mind   

all i would say is once a plug has fouled or played up it will never recover by human cleaning antics 

always bin and   start from fresh 

put a fouled plug in a tester  build the pressure up and you will see the spark jump out form all over the place

but they look good !!!!    they are the life and soul of the engine  they need to be OK not just look good 

Pete

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

theres hundreds to test   

Ok so the F78 looks exactly the same spec as a W78 apart from the hex size. A W78 is 20.8mm and a F78 is 16mm. Both are M14 x 1.25 thread, 19mm reach and the same heat range (78). 

Looks to me a good replacement for W78? 

Iain 

They seem available from Greensparkplug. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Badwolf said:

What are W78X and W78 super 4 (also with an X)?

On searching opieoil website who sell both, the only difference I can see is the electrode gap. W78 is 0.9mm and W78X are 1.0mm.

If you want 0.9 (36 thou) gap and the W78 are out of stock go for F78 and make sure you have a 14mm plug socket! 

Iain 

13 minutes ago, avivalasvegas said:

After 250 miles of motorway driving, so far, the plugs have yet to oil up. I'm hoping I can make it to my next oil change....

I put my WR7DTC (predecessor to the W78) plugs in in 2015 when I fitted my new bottom end.  They've done 20k since then and will do the same again I reckon.  I had the same ones in the old engine (that drank oil like a rabbit hole) which had been in for many years/miles.  They went into emergency spares stock and got handed out to a struggling PI owner near the top of an Alpine pass in 2017. He looked at them a bit doubtfully, but they worked better than the hopelessly blackened objects they replaced and he made it to the end of the 10CR.  For all I know he's still using them!

Nick