And Today's Mystery Object Is...

DerekS

Hello, I'm just doing some prep work with my car stuff ready for moving house and came across this, not for use on a car I know, but I've always wondered exactly what it is! It's made by Sheen instruments of Richmond,  Surrey. Do you know?

Derek.

20210609_153228.jpg

• Confused 1

Derek,

Of the two 'pointers', one grey and the other black with two weights(?) on it, which one moves?

Sheen make devices to test paint, the substance or the finish.     Could this be a viscometer, to test that a paint is of the right consistentcy before application?

John

Derek

it looks like one of those things that you use to do a thingy ma Bob with but it looks like your missing the thingie that attaches to the ma Bob ........ gawd knows what it is I’m interested myself as too what it is I’ll keep checking in too see if you crack what it is ... I first thought it was a drum thing that you stretch probably a skin over too play/bang a tune out of it !!!! 
mark

1 minute ago, Mark Seniac said:

Closest thing I’ve found is a pendulum impact tester !!! 
mark

I've seen them on the telly being used, usually massive jobs with heavy weights, this would be for testing something much smaller and more delicate

2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I've seen them on the telly being used, usually massive jobs with heavy weights, this would be for testing something much smaller and more delicate

Chris 

the one I found was just a little bit bigger than derek’s one in fact there was a man standing next to it and he could of walked inside it lol..... 9AA814F9-CA24-4842-ACC5-9202744F2C69.thumb.png.5bd81e287b84f2db96d8ec1f8252792d.png

On 09/06/2021 at 15:43, derekskill said:

Hello, I'm just doing some prep work with my car stuff ready for moving house and came across this, not for use on a car I know, but I've always wondered exactly what it is! It's made by Sheen instruments of Richmond,  Surrey. Do you know?

Derek.

20210609_153228.jpg

Do we get a prize derek

39651D69-B45D-4E18-B406-2217A376705A.thumb.jpeg.92baeafac7345028a6eeb8153140f0b7.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Mark Seniac said:

he one I found was just a little bit bigger than derek’s one in fact there was a man standing next to it and he could of walked inside it lol..... 

That's the sort of thing, serious kit!

21 hours ago, derekskill said:

Hello John, its the front grey pointer that swings, very freely too...

Derek.

In that case, it's a paint viscometer.    You dip it in the stuff, hold the grey pointer to one of the marks on the scale, and time how long it takes to reach 'zero'.

Come on guys, use your brains, not your funny bones! (Which aren't working!)

2 minutes ago, JohnD said:

In that case, it's a paint viscometer.    You dip it in the stuff, hold the grey pointer to one of that marks on the scale, and time how long it takes to reach 'zero'.

The way I've seen people test the viscosity of paint is where a predetermined volume of paint is put into a funnel and the time taken for it to run out determines the viscosity

din-cup-viscometer-ford-cup-4.jpg.a63d0729007e2c1ab90664bfd99a4956.jpg

Thanks for your interest guys, genuinely, I haven't a clue what it is or how old it is either! Here's another pic where hopefully you can gauge the size better and see the label. Also, there's an L-shaped "stop" for the swinging needle. The factory where I'd spent the best part of my working life closed and I was one of the last to leave in 2005, this item got mixed up with my tools when I brought them home...

20210610_165156.jpg

1 minute ago, derekskill said:

Thanks for your interest guys, genuinely, I haven't a clue what it is or how old it is either! Here's another pic where hopefully you can gauge the size better and see the label. Also, there's an L-shaped "stop" for the swinging needle. The factory where I'd spent the best part of my working life closed and I was one of the last to leave in 2005, this item got mixed up with my tools when I brought them home...

20210610_165156.jpg

Lol love how you worked there all that time and the last too leave and you picked this up!!! You obviously didn’t work In that department then 😂seriously though I can’t wait too find out what it really is and used for.... it’s got me stumped 

Mark, it was in an old building that was being cleared out for demolition,  it had been part workshop and part stores for a LOT of years. The company I worked for bought the building in the 1940s, it had been built during the First World War for the coal industry.