Big end and main bearing bolts.

68vitesse

Can you reuse the big end and main bearing bolts in the 2L straight six Triumph engine, cost not the concern just the quality of new parts?.

Are county shells good enough for everyday use or should I try and get something better?.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Paul

I reused the bearing cap bolts with new lock washers, but replaced the big end bolts - I just wanted to fit and forget the whole thing. Bolts came from Paddocks and as far as I could tell looked okay but only performance and durability will confirm.

For bearings I held out for a set of Vandervell Tri-Metal from an online supplier; might be overkill but I like the older stuff.

Yes, bolts are reusable if they are good. I have never had a problem. 

If you want upgraded, ARP are probably the best.

After rebuilding a few engines over the years, I would ideally get 1. Vandervell (good luck!) 2. Glacier/AE or other real brand 3rd County, but there are few other options.

And having tried both the HD/Trimetal and std bearings, on a used crank I would use the std bearings, the HD ones seem to wear quite fast.

Thank you all for the prompt and informative replys.

Engine, just everyday use, while engine is out of the car, blown headgasket, thought I would remove the sump and check bearings, thrust washers oil pump etc.

Spare engine in car so I can take my time.

Regards

Paul.

you cant re use modern torque to yield bolts they have been tightend to their limit  that would be bearing caps and head stud/bolts etc.  

this doenst apply to triumph engines that techy wasnt used so out there there are two camps 

so  you are perfectly safe to re use (as said in good condition) and not belting the thing to its limits as a race engine 

but many moderns (well a tad younger than the 60s 70s  )  you probably cant reuse 

pete

The fasteners used by Triumph in their engines were actually of excellent quality,  and you have to spend quite a bit to buy modern ones which will be of a higher quality. 

So as others have said, perfectly OK to re-use them.