Engine number information

henk power

Can anyone inform please, I bought a Spitfire Mark II and the engine number was probably removed from the block because the place is blanc, in stead there is a Tag with the information of the engine attached to the side with a serial number and other information...is it possible this engine or the whole car was returned to the build factory due to a problem with the engine from new or in garantee?  This is the first time I see this kind of enginenumber...what does the other information mean?  Has anyone info or a similar tag?

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

Just noticed the plate would appear To indicate Exchange (STANPART) Unit?. Has the car had a Factory replacement Engine?.

Which I see John has picked up on?.

Slightly off topic. What (if any) is the sgnificance of the HE suffix after an Engine number? As in GK1234HE.?

Pete

19 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

it is just  a genuine  factory exchange unit could be a warranty job or someone in its life purchased a factory recon   nothing unusual 

interesting it has the piston grades on the plate  

Pete

22 hours ago, henk power said:

Can anyone inform please, I bought a Spitfire Mark II and the engine number was probably removed from the block because the place is blanc, in stead there is a Tag with the information of the engine attached to the side with a serial number and other information...is it possible this engine or the whole car was returned to the build factory due to a problem with the engine from new or in garantee?  This is the first time I see this kind of enginenumber...what does the other information mean?  Has anyone info or a similar tag?

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

Pete, how does it show the piston grade?   "BAAA"?

And what different grades of piston were there?      I did hear that the production line was supplied with pistons of different sizes, to be fitted to the indifferently machined-out bores!

John

I think I see what Pete is saying. Manufacturing tolerances (where) not as close as they can be to-day with modern (production) machinery, so IF a bore is at the limit of tolerance, it is better to match a piston at the limit rather than just throw in any piston and risk "piston slap" on a new engine?. Coding the bore(s) on the data plate is an indication to whoever next gets to work on the engine.

Pete

OK, thanks for all the good advice, I agree with the possible A and B codes for the piston grades.  Just don't know yet what the FRL code behind the FC number stands for, I thought maybe there is an register for the exchange engines and their comments.  To John D, why are you so sure not one engine returned defect to the factory, in that time work was not so controlled as now or was work perfect in that time?  In current times a lot of engines of any kind fail in their first year?  Thanks  Henk

lots of engines were returned to the factory, what John D means is this was not likely to be an engine that was returned and rebuilt as the bores and crank are standard. It probably was sent out to replace a returned engine

the WSM give 3 grades for 1147 pistons  as F G H   no A s or Bs 

the tail  suffix  FR ( factory recon)  L  (low compression) 

is all i see that suits the plate 

every maker sold exchange units like BL who did gold seal  etc  nothing unusual for this to have been fitted for any reason though its  life time 

could be warranty or a previous owner replaced a worn unt and bought a factory recon   lots of people did this 

Pete

Thanks for all the advice, so the original engine failed at some time and was replaced with an original ordered exchange Stanpart engine with the same qualifications, so good to know that the owner at that time used the opportunity to change it with a factory available more costly engine in stead of using a cheaper second hand one with maybe unreliable background.  Startup will be this wintertime, I'll take compression and check it completely before firing it up!  Must be standing still for a long time, I bought the car as is and guess it didn't turn since a long time...