Damn Damson colour!

Jeffds1360

How was I to know that the BLMC Damson was not Triumph 17 Damson?

Got my boot lid nicely prepared then rattle canned it. Only to find it was so much darker !

Stupidly I carried on to the door top. Boy, was that too much!

I had thought my paint was just faded, but no.....wrong paint.

Got some 17 and redid them. So much better. Needs a bit of 1200 and G3 to finish off. Hope I don't rub through to the 'undercoat' !

20210724_143715.jpg

20210729_153420.jpg

20210729_153408.jpg

20210818_152350.jpg

20210818_152359.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Don't know if this will help but the car I bought was Damson but was not sure of the paint that was used.

So took the boot to the local paint suppliers to match a paint for me.

So far so good, I then asked them to mix me a can to touch up a small area, can ends up darker than what they had originaly mixed for me, it transpired that the accelerant in the can caused the paint to be darker.

I bought a small spray gun and used that to paint any small bits that need doing.

Steve

• Thanks 1

Hi,

As non member says, I met a guy with a Damson Vitesse who had a bare metal respray and was talking about the colour difference and he said that there were two colours one darker than the other.

By the way what a fantastic respray it was.

Steve

Well I must say that Paints4u were very good and a girl named Alison was very concerned for me and explained the post 1977/8 BL colour Damson WAS different to the 1970/71 Triumph 17 code. Sympathy got me no discounts off the £17 quid each cans though. Took 2 cans for the 'undercoat' on boot and two door tops, but only one can to finish off. 1 can spare and I've ordered some touch up too.

Mind I think the PO has done some panels in different shades !!!?? :(

Reminds me of a yellow Toyota that I once had. Through no fault of mine (I hasten to add) it needed various panels painting during my ownership. Looked vaguely ok in most light but under street lights, wow. Reminded me of one of those dairy trucks painted like a cow, but in shades of yellow. Trouble was, once you had seen the various shades under street light, you then noticed them more in the day and this was done by the same professional body shop over a couple of years. No amount of rubbing compound would bring them back to match.

11 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Looked vaguely ok in most light but under street lights, wow. Reminded me of one of those dairy trucks painted like a cow, but in shades of yellow. 

My first Spitfire was like that. Looked ok in daylight but the orange streetlights really made it look patchwork. 

Re paint shades, I had Triumph White (code 19) mixed twice, it turned out nothing like the original (the guy in Halfords gave me 1/2 a litre in a little bottle about an inch high?), and one of the most recent aerosols from another Motor Factors was an ice-white like a fridge. I managed to get hold of four NOS Halfords aerosols form years past and they're a perfect match. The best way to match existing paint is definitely to take a panel (Herald grille surround is good) and have it scanned and matched by a professional paint company.

56 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

I don't think I have a grill surround on the 13/60.

No, it's a 1200 thing. On the earlier bonnet design the grill was fixed to the chassis and separate from the bonnet, with a body-colour frame around it. 13/60 and Vitesse don't have that.