Newbie ?

Paul H

It's impossible to say exactly.  A lot would depend on whether they're using electrical things like lights, wipers, heater fan, plus of course the condition and capacity of the battery.  I expect if you weren't using lights etc, you might get an hour or so.

Tom

33 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Hi I like following the RBRR on Facebook . One of the cars has Dynamo issues with ignition light coming on . 
How long will the battery last ? 
Paul 

To the finish I expect. By a simple bit of ingenuity.

You travel with somebody else, swapping batteries every couple of hours. It has happened before.

BUT if just running the coil, and nothing else, I reckon 2 days. 

2 hours ago, clive said:

BUT if just running the coil, and nothing else, I reckon 2 days. 

When the dynamo on the 13/60 packed in, worn brushes, the local garage man thought I wouldn't have any bother for ages. Put the car on charge at night, carried a spare battery and jump leads until I replaced it. I wanted the car on the road until spares arrived.

3 hours ago, PeteH said:

Old time Diesels. Once you get them going, no need of a battery. Until you need lights!.

Pete

Someone I worked with here ran his for ages before getting the charging system sorted. He had no problems, just charged the battery from time to time. His only worry was at the weekend going to visit family, he had to be sure to be there or back before night time.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chris A said:

Someone I worked with here ran his for ages before getting the charging system sorted. He had no problems, just charged the battery from time to time. His only worry was at the weekend going to visit family, he had to be sure to be there or back before night time.

Hence the use of Carbide Lighting.

Pete

9 hours ago, Chris A said:

Thanks for that .with this advice know I should be able to continue my journey assuming no lights etc are on . 

Paul 

21 hours ago, Paul H said:

One of the cars has Dynamo issues with ignition light coming on . 

Paul, without wanting to appear pedantic, your ignition warning light is coming on ..but is it staying on when you rev the engine.?  I only ask because my TR's ignition warning light comes on now every time the engine drops to a slow tick-over, but I accept that as being OK because as soon as the engine revs are above 1200rpm the light goes off again. 

Pete.

59 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Thanks for that .with this advice know I should be able to continue my journey assuming no lights etc are on . 

Paul 

Paul I was referring to the previous post about old diesels. You should also be able to cover a fair distance if not using any additional electrical equipment