Facebook etc, Triumph online clubs?.

These are used for different aspects/reasons of Triumph/Classic car involvement and maybe serve that purpose.

However, I have noticed that technical/mechanical etc, advice can often be sometimes sketchy/wrong, though this is thankfully, sometimes picked up, by more knowledgeable users.

I sometimes reply, if it's an area I have some knowledge about.

Was thinking it could be a better idea to reply, that it may be better, to direct individuals to go to non social media forums, eg TSSC/CT for better/more thorough (and also alternative, general advice in some other areas) advice.

I thought this may promote clubs membership and also help some folk, to not at times be despairing about fixing their cars, and would therefore, help promote classic car use in general?.

Cheers, Dave   

Some of the, un-facebook related "Forum" are extremely informative. ie; This one. And the Fiat Forum, are for me the the standouts. The problem with facebook on that score is too many "opinions" rather than proper guidance.?

Pete

the tssc does have a FB pages and open sites   there is an AO FB  link as well  

as a local area many use FB for news etc  we have one i dont run it its done by one of my small committee  of volunteers for our area 

for me I stick to the forum and local e mails thats enough to keep me out of trouble 

Pete

I actually tried to get kicked off a Facebook group (about Scalextric cars) because I was fed up with "y wont my car run" (actual quote) for the millionth time...

I was very careful in my wording at first by basically pointing the numerous forums where that same question had been answered and how they were doing themselves a disservice but just bleating out the question without a modicum of research.

I then became more and more "b!tchy" to the point where I was being accused of being elitist and statements like "well if this is how these groups are run I am out!" were made...

I then left Facebook or 72 hours and ""boing" no one, not a single person remembered the altercations.

The problem with all these social media is they are fleeting and the window in which you get a response is a narrow. When you are asking about what to eat for dinner that is fine. When someone is about to route a brake pipe around their cooling fan less so!

Social media have their purpose: They are cocktail parties. You go around, picking up on snippets of conversation and mingling joyfully. They should never be used for life decisions and only rarely advice on things of any gravity.

They are GREAT for promotion, getting new members, and keeping tabs on events before and after.

That is about it.

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Some of the, un-facebook related "Forum" are extremely informative. ie; This one. And the Fiat Forum, are for me the the standouts. The problem with facebook on that score is too many "opinions" rather than proper guidance.?

Pete

I treat Fb as a lightweight 'throwaway' thing, whereas a forum is solid and permanent. Trying to look up past items on Fb isn't worth the stress as I'm sure most of you have found out. A forum has a good search facility.

Room for both.