Electric Herald

Pdv

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah GM said ti will do that too. Supposedly drops straight into the spot of of most of their V8... even has fake rocker covers etc.

Power is almost never a problem for an electric motor. It is just how you store the energy...

The guys behind Vintage Voltage have started a nice series explaining things:

• Like 1

I used the Brighton Trolley Busses with my mum until the age of ten. Had to hold on tight if they took off before you sat down. They did not carry their power supply. (Except for a battery for parking). Neither do electric trains. That is what is wrong with electric cars. We need conductive roads and an overhead mesh like 'Dodgems' use. It does not have to be a 'Killer' voltage either.

Might cause excessive loading when the lights go green. A super-cap on board could sort that.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Wagger said:

Trolley Busses

The ones in HULL where known as "Whispering Death", the bugger`s would sneak up behind you silently, mind, us kids on our bikes would grab the platform handle and grab a free ride until the conductress stopped screaming epithets and rapped your knuckles and you let go!.

Pete

I know I have posted somewhere on here the over head charging used by HGVs here in Germany to charge their batteries before they leave the Autobahn so they are emission free in town.

There was a test several years ago by Renault with induction charging on guard rails along a motor way. It was able to charge the car at 100 kmh but it was pouring down rain and around 10°C. They reckon under better conditions it would be able to charge at 120 (maybe higher if that were allowed on the roads...). Biggest problem is (as with most things) agreeing on a standard for all cars to use.

The last episode of 5th Gear showed a battery swap scheme that gave you  a fresh battery in about 5 minutes without leaving your car.

It really isn't a new concept. An ex board member of my company founded a company to do that back in 2008 but he went on a crazy drinking and drugging binge and some investors lost confidence. I wonder why...

Modern EVs emit a sound under 30 KPH so that they can't sneak up on you... I would use the sound of my dog barking at a plastic bag that invades our yard... Either that or the sound of an elephant flatulating..

My company is forcing us to get EVs so I had to figure this all out on my own.

EVs are not perfect and they won't work for everyone. I get it... but they do have a few aspects that are kinda cool...

I always thought the methane powered vehicles in the Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome were very cool....

Top bad it is kind of ozone killery and green house gasey and stuff...

I remember an article where New Zealand was seriously thinking of exporting it because a football pitch full of sheep made as much methane "an entire stadium of people after eating bratwurst, sauerkraut and free refill beer"... (or something similar..:)

Someone posted about FORD having an electric motor "up and running". The one below is the "NEW" Transit E, Chassis cab unit.

Someimage.png.11ff922dc55191a895d7133f847bf3eb.png

There is also a Promotional video on the net, It`s aimed at the "converter" market.

Pete

After the recent news about power costs, clean air charges, interest rates, the cost of living increase and the government looking at recouping the lost fuel duty due to the increase of electric vehicles, we'll all be walking everywhere by Christmas so the whole convertion  thing will be academic. If you can't afford a party this Christmas, I believe Downing Street is THE place (sorry, topical reference, couldn't resist it) to be, but you have to bring your own booze, if you can afford it.

39 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

After the recent news about power costs, clean air charges, interest rates, the cost of living increase and the government looking at recouping the lost fuel duty due to the increase of electric vehicles, we'll all be walking everywhere by Christmas so the whole convertion  thing will be academic. If you can't afford a party this Christmas, I believe Downing Street is THE place (sorry, topical reference, couldn't resist it) to be, but you have to bring your own booze, if you can afford it.

Car meets will be 'Bring your spare battery' or fast solar charger. A 'Charger' with four legs maybe.

1 hour ago, Wagger said:

Car meets will be 'Bring your spare battery' or fast solar charger. A 'Charger' with four legs maybe.

You know I seriously wondered about this a while back.

What do they do? Compare computer readouts of the battery mgmt system?!

So I went to an "EV" festival.

It turns out there is a part that DOES do that... BUT there are also groups that talk about wheels, rims, tires, trim, etc.

The also talking about hacking the software the same way others talk about exhaust headers, ignition or fuel injection.

There was even a side conversation about upgrading the heating on a Nissan Leaf. Not necessarily adrenaline inducing stuff but the main point is the car has not become a commodity like your smart phone or tablet has... 

People out there are still tinkering, "improving" and modding ... just in a different way.

I like to compare to a jam session of Blues versus Rock and Roll. They go about it differently but you can appreciate either if you want to...

Oh and one other thing: Almost every one that I met had a fossil fuel car of some kind as their toy. From Trabants to V12 Jags so they are kind gender neutral in that sense...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badwolf said:

we'll all be walking everywhere by Christmas so the whole convertion  thing will be academic.

Isn't that the point? If chocolate companies can increase profits by reducing the size of their bars, then claim it's to fight obesity (as if we can't eat two.. or three...) then increasing the price of road use will force people to walk, which is much healthier.

Some of the arguments for or against price hikes are laughable; the planned proposal for charging drivers for the distance they drive, ie the miles covered and therefore the road usage has been slammed as 'unfair to those who have to use their cars more'... the argument then would seem to be that as we pay annual road tax we should be out all the time, to get the best value from it, otherwise we're wasting money.

I wonder if that would work in the pub? You pay an annual fee, drink as much as you like, and those who only drink a little...well, that's their loss, innit?

• Like 1

Huge area`s around Manchester, are currently earmarked to become an LEZ. Not just the urban but suburban and even greenfield. Courtesy of Andy Burnham. Those who LIVE there will have to pay to take their vehicles OUT of the area and BACK IN. Essentially a tax on car ownership by the back door. Burnham`s Idea of "leveling up" maybe?. I suggest the true result is more likely to be "dumming down", with trade fleeing out of the city, lost jobs, urban blight, etc;, time will tell. Other cities are watching. The time to buy 40+year old vehicles is now maybe?. As it stands anything older than Feb 1982?.

Pete

Not making political points here, but Burnham and co had this forced on the area by Boris and co, which has led to the embarrassing situation of a local MP raising the question in the housemof commons, for the government to sort Burnham and co out, when the indict originally came from the government. Couldn't organise the proverbial in a whatnot. Whole thing now on hold until someone finds out what the **** is going on. Like kids in the playground.

Citizen Kahn, too has in recent times expanded the London area outward, what is galling to those who live inside, is the fact that they pay to go OUTSIDE, from home and pay again to get back in!. The even more scary bit in my view is that so many other Urban Authorities are watching this space. My personal view being they see it as a new form of taxation, what then will happen when all the "polluting vehicles" are removed from the road, and the lucrative revenue stream dry`s up?. Like with E-V`s they will need to find new streams. Do you think they really feel the motoring public is that stupid?

Pete

I am under no delusion that they will keep the landscape as is as far taxation is concerned.

How many taxes have been repealed?

I can't think of a single one...

There is definitely an anti-car sentiment out there but luckily here in Germany there are several million people dependent on it so they hopefully won't go too far...

2 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

several million people dependent on it so they hopefully won't go too far...

Same applies here. I am one of the lucky one at the moment in that our village sees a bus every hour or so. Not early enough to get anyone to work before 8am (ish) and none after 8-9m. But those in the more remote hamlets and villages don`t have a service AT ALL. As it stands, when we have a Hospital Appointment, without a car, you would never make it. A taxi, is a £20 each way ride. Anyone on chemo;, and we know a few, faces a bill of over £100 a week JUST on transport.

Badly thought through, rushed "policy?", and not confined to any particular political party either, just some are more enthusiastic than others.

Pete