Petrol, does it damage clothing?

Jeffds1360

Had a bit of a 'woopsie' with a pipe full of petrol and it spilt all over my trews! Wife eventually chased me out into the garden ( 3 degrees) and I had to strip off and, after emptying my pockets,  I hung them on the line.

She says she is allergic to petrol smell....ha, I sneaked my smelly hankie in :)....does it rot cotton?, do the fumes cause any problems?

I'm rambling :) . Bear with me.... I meant bare !

Petrol and clothes seems OK.After drying  usual washing machine  cycle 

I have seen the shoe soles of some one who stood in petrol for a while go a bit soft and “ melt “ a bit.

Now EP gear oil is a very different matter v.difficult to wash out.

Stinks. Never liked it since I had a Ford 105e gearbox discharge its contents all over my head  when removing it .Omitted to drain  it first.

I could still smell it a a week , and many washes , later.

Don’t know what it did to my scalp , but  fifty two years later I’m  not bald - perhaps there’s a business opportunity here.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Don't dry cleaners use something similar? 

We used CTC, from the old time Fire extinguishers to clean oil etc: off our uniforms.?. I understand they stopped using, as a fire extinguishing material. When they found out the fumes it gave of when used on a fire where Toxic and/or Carcinogenic? (or so dad told me!).

Wikepedia:- Carbon tetrachloride extinguishers were withdrawn in the 1950s because of the chemical's toxicity – exposure to high concentrations damages the nervous system and internal organs. Additionally, when used on a fire, the heat can convert CTC to phosgene gas,[10] formerly used as a chemical weapon.

Pete

Ref; Oil and Hair loss. In my case I assume it worked the other way round?. Being somewhat "Monk Like" in that department. I attribute it to the amount of time spent having (hot) Marine lubricating oil liberally deposited over ones person whilst working in the crankcase, rectifying the faults which occur in elderly, and not so old, Marine Engines.

Pete

The EP oil lingering pong  was partly explained to me by someone who took a student vacation  job in a midlands oil company lab.He described a smelly and unpleasant part of the process of making EP  oil involved the “rendering” of large quantities of poultry fat ( long unfit for human consumption) that had “ gone off” …