WTB: GT6 Mk2 Speedo (w/ overdrive). Part # 215042

avivalasvegas

What’s the TPM value? It’ll be a 3 or 4 digit number probably under the RHS of the trip counter. That’s all you need to match (and the speedo cable connection). I might have something that would do as a temp replacement, though wouldn’t be a GT6 version. Would be just a used one, I am able to check if they run at spec though. 

Also have you checked the speedo cable? That can also so give the same symptoms (and is cheaper than a speedo refurb!)

twitchy needles are generally a cable problem getting wind up and released 

have you tried some lube of the cable    not a lot , there is a special grease that wont transpose up the cable but we wont go there it smells awful   

graphite powder is often used but doesnt work well 

a smear of thick grease not oil will work ( contrary to many beliefs )

Pete

• Thanks 1

colin the washer is only if you have an angle drive  normally needed on a overdrive   there is a BL tech note about the drive being pre loaded  hence early failures

the washer fits between the angle drive and the gearbox pinion drive to space it a little   there is a part number but any 7/16 dia washer will work 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

colin the washer is only if you have an angle drive  normally needed on a overdrive   there is a BL tech note about the drive being pre loaded  hence early failures

the washer fits between the angle drive and the gearbox pinion drive to space it a little   there is a part number but any 7/16 dia washer will work 

Pete

Yes, but I'm just about to fit one to the Herald... so thought I'd better check.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to repeat but wavy needles are nearly always cable drives not the instrument  would hate you pay a for a refurb and it remains the same 

and we were involved with testing speedos and tachographs for 25 years  this is not just a pub talk  idea  

please  do check it out, let us know 

Pete

To reinforce Pete's point, my wavy speedometer was sorted by a new cable. That was until oil migrated from the rebuilt gearbox up the new cable and into the speedometer, at which point it became totally erratic and went off to Speedy Cables for a clean up!

Gully

On 27/01/2022 at 19:15, Pete Lewis said:

have you tried to lube the cable  ?

and run the speedo off a battery drill if the needles steady its the cable not the head 

Pete

Yes to the lube and yes to the test. It's not the cable,

8 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

sorry to repeat but wavy needles are nearly always cable drives not the instrument  would hate you pay a for a refurb and it remains the same 

and we were involved with testing speedos and tachographs for 25 years  this is not just a pub talk  idea  

please  do check it out, let us know 

Pete

Not to doubt your invaluable experience, given the age of the instrument/ drive, wouldn't it make sense to send it all in for refurbishment as Colin suggests?

I would also check the seal in the speedo drive bearing in the OD unit. Mine leaked and that caused erratic speedos due to the oil going up the cable and into the head. Stopped the leak and had the speedo sorted and all good since. I had my head unit done by Scott Mitchell (Classic engineering If I recall)

• Thanks 1