Spitfire Boot Carpet Set - Newton Commercial fitting advice

Rockape

Putting in the boot set made by Newtons. There is no fitting guide, and whilst some of the pieces are obvious, others appear to need extensive modification (especially to allow the spare wheel bracket through) and there are a couple of pieces I have no clue where they are supposed to go.

has anyone fitted this kit and able to share tips/photos?

cheers

Hi,

I purchased a moulded carpet set for my Herald from Rimmers but is made by Newton Commercial and it is great apart from the piece of carpet that goes at the end of the floor under the rear seat.

Rather than try to describe it I will post a picture tomorrow,  and hope for some guidance.

Not wishing to  distract from your thread Rockape but you and I will be not be alone here In trying to get a good fit from what are otherwise good carpets. 

Steve 

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Picture taken today.

Two things, the difference in colour, why? And the gap, it is not quite centralised but there is still gap either end?.

Any help from anyone who has fitted a moulded carpet would be good.

Steve

20220115_161701.thumb.jpg.c966c310fece3ef4551e3296b8cebac0.jpg

Hmm, I’d say the difference in colour is cause they’ve not supplied a matched set! Also, that bit was vinyl originally and the carpet goes over it at the edges. On top of that the pointed bits on the edges are wrong. Might not just be the wrong colour but the wrong part entirely?

2B6D0852-EB15-4412-B69D-7DAE2170F6BB.jpeg

I was trying to find carpet sets / pieces for my current Herald with a light tan interior; some of the suppliers sell both 'light tan' and 'biscuit' shades, and some parts are available in one of the two only. I've queried it and been told that the section across the rear tunnel, in front of the rear seat in Heralds, should be vinyl and match the seat above, not the carpet. However when I bought the new carpet set they supplied this part in matching carpet, which is what it will get - looks so much nicer. When I bought the black carpet set for my GT6, obviously with no seat above like the Spitfire, this part was also supplied in matching black carpet.

As you can see, the PO did a lovely job of matching the trim... but you can just make out the pointed edge of the end of this section underneath the main carpet in the second photo.

DSCF2210.jpg.6f05ad806e60b337d4712ab01f828190.jpg   DSCF2219.jpg.b9518149c7bfdf78058a000701192fb7.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 16/01/2022 at 22:19, Colin Lindsay said:

I was trying to find carpet sets / pieces for my current Herald with a light tan interior; some of the suppliers sell both 'light tan' and 'biscuit' shades, and some parts are available in one of the two only. I've queried it and been told that the section across the rear tunnel, in front of the rear seat in Heralds, should be vinyl and match the seat above, not the carpet. However when I bought the new carpet set they supplied this part in matching carpet, which is what it will get - looks so much nicer. When I bought the black carpet set for my GT6, obviously with no seat above like the Spitfire, this part was also supplied in matching black carpet.

As you can see, the PO did a lovely job of matching the trim... but you can just make out the pointed edge of the end of this section underneath the main carpet in the second photo.

DSCF2210.jpg.6f05ad806e60b337d4712ab01f828190.jpg   DSCF2219.jpg.b9518149c7bfdf78058a000701192fb7.jpg

Colin I know its an old thread but Interestingly below is a pic of my Vitesse Mk2 old saloon heel board trim which is a sort of material similar to the boot carpet/finish a material that starts with a H ie hessian based with a sprayed on vinyl type finish. it has been cut at the middle, there was a vinyl flap at the top ie at black stitch line which folded over the seat front steel body lip

Mk2 Vitesse Saloon Heel Board Carpet.JPG

9 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Colin I know its an old thread but Interestingly below is a pic of my Vitesse Mk2 old saloon heel board trim which is a sort of material similar to the boot carpet/finish a material that starts with a H ie hessian based with a sprayed on vinyl type finish. it has been cut at the middle, there was a vinyl flap at the top ie at black stitch line which folded over the seat front steel body lip

Mk2 Vitesse Saloon Heel Board Carpet.JPG

Hardura I think. Yes, that is the original stuff.

• Thanks 1

On 31/08/2022 at 23:11, Peter Truman said:

My new carpet set has the cross-piece with the pointed 'horns' but just made in the same carpet, however the Estate has the same piece in an older form of vinyl, with a top lip that hooks over the raised edge of the floorpan. The estate rear seat also has a short front 'apron' on the rear seat that hides the gap underneath so that when the rear seat is tilted forward to increase the rear load area there's no visible gap at all.

IMG_2247.jpg.ba1ebb5b21d7019e18db03cc2312176d.jpg 0A85D036-E2B5-47E4-8C63-8631FFE129EF_1_105_c.jpg.796bf3fcff29d28f1779db66b823579d.jpg