Modern car wiper blades

ahebron

Are expensive and often specific to the car.
But you can often remove the rubber blade part and replace it with one from the old type wipers like on our Triumphs.
I recently did this to my parents Freelander 2 by taking the end off the blade and pulling the old rubber out and sliding in a rubber removed from an old type wiper.
On my Amarok I slid the original rubber back a bit till it slid out of the gap for removing the rubber then fed the replacement in.
That saved me NZ$90

on the reverse idea of this  ive searched and tried to find a way to fit modern  aero blades squeegee type blades to the triumph 

many say they fit but thats dribble  most need a very different arm , there are some but the adaptor to fit a bayonet arm are so huge its having a sparrow flying across the screen 

no one ive found make a arm with hook /clip blade fitting that has the 15mm spline driven wheel boxes 

its easy to upgrade from 5mm arms to 7mm  to give more pressure on the screen , even adjustable length arms can aid the fit of longer blades  

its a real nest of vipers to go modern on a classic 

Pete

interesting.

I need some new blades for my 13/60, it an early car 1968 and has the close together (inside of the washer jets) arms. At the moment I have one 11" and one 12" blade, the driver side one does not wipe very well and is not touching the screen.

Had a look at the shop and am a bit confused as to what the correct blade is?

Happy to try a modern blade, the arms are ~5.3 mm wide. Any suggestions welcome!

mike

MVIMG_20220123_123120.jpg

MVIMG_20220123_123138.jpg

Well I will be bearing that one in mind for when I finally get to that point on the Spitfire. Having read the info here I’m pretty sure it has 5mm arms and 7mm blades! I never got to the point of figuring out why the wipers were so terrible before taking it all apart.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a set of Tex blades and arms cannot remember if from club shop but they were absolutely useless. Complained to Tex at NEC show and they replaced them with ones that were just as useless . Looking for replacements so Pete's link info intrigued me as it lists flat screen and curved screen blade options so does a Herald / Vitesse use flat screen or curved screen blades , not knowingly come across this option before.

On 23/01/2022 at 12:03, Badwolf said:

I got some silicone refill blades off fleabay. They work well but no idea which dealer I got them from, sorry, it was over 4 years ago. I have an offcut somewhere in the spares. I will try to find it.

Halfords do a longish length of Silicone blade.

One length is enough to do the two TR4A blades.

Roger