Using spare coil spade to pick up usb 12v supply?

Tipidave

Hi all, 

I am currently fitting a usb socket in the ashtray of my herald 1200. I am wanting to know whether the spare 12v spade terminal on the coil would be a suitable place to pick up a supply for the usb… or will it be too ‘dirty’ with noise from the ht circuit? 

I had thought that a switched terminal would be best… however now you mention that I guess I could also install a socket to allow the connection of my battery conditioner without a need to open bonnet if it were a permanent live…. Hmmm! 😀👍

On 26/01/2022 at 19:44, Tipidave said:

I had thought that a switched terminal would be best… however now you mention that I guess I could also install a socket to allow the connection of my battery conditioner without a need to open bonnet if it were a permanent live…. Hmmm! 😀👍

One thing to consider is that some usb chargers take a small current even when not being used, so if on a permanent live, they could be draining the battery.

Probably very slowly so may not be an issue but some appear to have a switch fitted to turn them on, so perhaps it is 🤔

13 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

One thing to consider is that some usb chargers take a small current even when not being used, so if on a permanent live, they could be draining the battery.

Probably very slowly so may not be an issue but some appear to have a switch fitted to turn them on, so perhaps it is 🤔

I found my flat battery issues were down to a USB charger, took a couple of weeks. It was drawing 0.1 amps, which appears insignificant, but 2.4AH a day, 17AH/week. When the battery is a 44AH one, 2 weeks and the car won't start. 

Solution, remember to pull it out after use!

2 hours ago, clive said:

It was drawing 0.1 amps, which appears insignificant,

No, that's nowhere near insignificant. The Ford "quiescent current limit" specification for ECUs in the late 1990s was only a few milliamps... and then they tightened it up so that using the car battery for RAM retention ceased to be viable.

To be honest, a USB charger with nothing plugged in has no excuse to be drawing as much as 0.1A

2 hours ago, clive said:

I found my flat battery issues were down to a USB charger, took a couple of weeks. It was drawing 0.1 amps, which appears insignificant, but 2.4AH a day, 17AH/week. When the battery is a 44AH one, 2 weeks and the car won't start. 

Solution, remember to pull it out after use!

Always good advice 😉

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

No, that's nowhere near insignificant. The Ford "quiescent current limit" specification for ECUs in the late 1990s was only a few milliamps... and then they tightened it up so that using the car battery for RAM retention ceased to be viable.

To be honest, a USB charger with nothing plugged in has no excuse to be drawing as much as 0.1A

What s worse, it took a bit of finding. It is hidden away in the passenger "glovebox" on the tunnel side, so as not to be obvious. But I forgot about it, especially as no LED fitted. Still, was one of the first times I used my Megger 711 MFT, a very handy bit of kit. 

That was my intention by taking a feed off the spare coil spade … still not sure if it will carry a lot of “noise” and interfere with the 12v to 5v part in the usb unit. Maybe I will just give it a go and see… should be here in about a week . Will update when done 😀👍

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mjit said:

Where did you get that USB socket panel from?  I'm looking to do something similar but that's much neater than what I had planned!

https://www.classicchargers.com/
chap called Phil (in Canada) made it up for me. I gave him a photo and a few measurements. And he had it designed and made in a couple of days. In the end it needed a little bit of minor adjustment to fit. Overall it works well and no one would know! 

48 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That is superb! Where did you end up taking the feed from?

I used the existing feed to the radio that is switched via ignition barrel on both ignition and accessory side. I figured that 2.1amps at 5.5 volts is only 1 amp at 12v. I left it all on for quite a while and felt terminals and they were still cold…and it is protected by an in line fuse. Neat job and v happy 👍😀