High Strength Rivnuts

One or two of the threaded 5/16UNF threaded holes in the chassis for attaching the body is just out of position in the refurbished chassis that I received.  Hopefully I can widen the hole in the floor panels enough to fit but if I have to drill out the threads does anyone know a good source of strong steel UNF rivnuts these days?

there also ones like a expanding rawl plug idea can be useful if you cant get in to collapse the rivet swage 

and providing they dont try to rotate you can collapse rivenuts with a bolt washer and a nut to pull them up tight without any special pullers /pliers 

worth a look at Jack nuts as opposed to rive nuts 

have a browse at eg   https://www.rivetwise.co.uk/rivets/rivet-nuts.asp

Pete

A Q. about Rivnuts.     I have a set with an insertion tool, that looks very like a blind rivet tool.  With the latter, I'm used to the give as the rivet is dilated, followed by it coming away from the work as the mandrel yields and breaks.   This occurs with the strength of one hand - with rivets that are 5mm or less in diameter.

I don't expect the last with a Rivnut!   The tool uses a threaded mandrel, that must the unscrewed to leave the nut in place.   But with as much strength as I can exert with two hands, I can feel no give at all, as the nut is dilated behind the panel.     I find it very difficult to judge when the Rivnut is 'set'.    Consequently I squeeze as hard as I possibly can, and I have torn the threads out of small nuts, and damaged the tool!

Advice, please.   How hard to squeeze and how to tell when the nut is 'set'?

John

Hi John,

on the smaller rivnuts  M3 & M4  Ali pull them up until you feel it go tight. Then waggle the pliers. If it is in tight there will be no movement.

If you feel any slack then keep squeezing.

Steel and Stainless steel should not pull through.

The biggest problem is trying to pull down M6 stainless. Power pliers are required.

Roger

Does that matter, Mark?   

Thanks to all for the advice!   Certainly, when I've used larger rivnuts I've resorted to a bolt and socket driver, as Pete suggests.   Any idea how much torque required?   Just until it doesn't wiggle, Roger? Not very scientific, but most practical.