Triumph Herald 1200 - Non - Working Inner Door Handles

Shiv K P

Hello! I have a lovely Triumph Herald 1200 but at the moment is annoying me in terms of the door handles.

I am able to open both doors from the outside but am unable to from the inner door handles. I have removed the door panel to try make head or tail of why it isn't working. However I am still none the wiser and was wondering whether anyone could shed any light as to why its happening and how I can sort it out. I use all my force to pull the handle back but the rod doesn't want to budge. 

Thank you and I hope someone can help! 😊

Is the rod connected to the lock mechanism? Did they work up till now? If you disconnect the rod from the lock mechanism does it move? Is everything  gunked up with ancient grease? Some photos of what you can see of the mechanisms would be handy too :)

Thanks for that, upon reading that I checked both sides. Both sides are all connected and the passenger side slowly just became more and more stiff over the course of a few weeks. The wally I am thought to ignore why it may have been going stiff haha. I did notice the passenger side's action looked quite 'gunky' but not overly greasy to say the least so I have managed to put some new grease on it and it seems to be working now without feeling stiff. I have kept the door panels off in case I notice anything else. On the driver's side, for some odd reason a screw had fallen behind the area where the inner door handle lives which was why that randomly stopped moving. I have removed the screw and now both sides seem to work! Can't find where the screw came from though haha.

Thanks a bunch for the help! 😊

Often Comes up. but the purpose of WD40, is in the name. Water Dispersant, which is it`s primary purpose, and once acheived, the small amount of lubricant soon evaporates. Far better to go for a proper "releaseall", Plus gas or similar.  Silcone or Lithium in spray form are better for that purpose (lubrication) and just as simple, the old fashioned Oil Can.

Pete

• Like 1

I am always amused by this sceptis=cism of WD40.

I have used several vareties of squirty oil, WD40, pluscad, AC90 (toolstation special) as well as making at ATF/acetone mix that is usually regarded as the best penetrating oil.

In practice they all work about the same. I wouldn't rate any being better than the others (the atf/acetone mix is cheap IF you have the stuff available)

For lubrication, the oilcan is best, unless it needs something "special". I really like the WD40 PTFE spray as a dry lube, and spray chain lube is great for hinges/padlocks/door mechanisms etc. 

interestingly Guy Martin agrees with me (or at least reached the same conclusion). He was sent a case of Plusgas to try, hoping to get his approval and presumably use him in adverts. He sent it back, one can partially used. With the comment "No better than WD40" 

But for properly seized stuff, heat is the best solution.

29 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

90 has a nice smell!!!   and doesnt drip on the floor so quickly  

Pete

Tell my oil can that it shouldn't drip so quickly!

18 minutes ago, Paul H said:

nb 20/50 also used for Stromburg dampers 

Paul 

You've started that one AGAIN! (me too by the way)