herald seat belt anchorage

paul fosh

59 minutes ago, NonMember said:

What belts do you have? The original fitment was a simple eye bolt into the chassis, which the belt hooked onto. I probably have a few of those eye bolts lying around. However, they're no good for modern belts, for which you need the bracket that matches the belt.

no the part i need is for a early car 1965 takes the belt buckle straps sits on rear of trans tunnel 

1 hour ago, paul fosh said:

no the part i need is for a early car 1965 takes the belt buckle straps sits on rear of trans tunnel 

I know the type you mean, from the top of the transmission tunnel and I have some, but the problem is that they are stitched into the seatbelts, so the belts are not a separate item. I wouldn't advocate using a second-hand seat belt even though some of the ones I have are very good in appearance, unless of course you're having new belts stitched into the bracket. 

There are actually two required, one is flat and so sits inside the top plate which is curved, and this is the reason that the flat plates are always in lovely condition while the top covers are always rusty.

Quickfit SBS sell them and they'll also make up complete belts in any required colour - mine are silver grey. https://www.quickfitsbs.com/components_colours.php

7617B91B-267E-4027-BB75-CCC925D70120_1_105_c.jpg.ebc456f959a32f3b1fc10e62bc3a415f.jpg  FA90D696-1A75-47F5-92FE-83AE16C1FF84_1_105_c.jpg.8ea80066036291a6d7710abcbf32a355.jpg

The seat belt fixings through each side of the transmission tunnel into brackets welded to the chassis was an alteration after 1966. The earlier fixing was to a two bolt reinforcing plate on the top of the inside of the transmission tunnel, behind the handbrake, as per Colin Lindsay's pictures.

Had a 64 Herald 12/50 and a very early 66 Vitesse Mk1 2L convertible with that type of fixing.

Regards

Paul.

Where they actually fitted by Triumph or more likely retro fitted as they did not leave the factory with seat belts until later and I think the requirement to have mount points only came in in 65 or 66 and it wasn't until 68 that belts had to be retro-fitted, so probably a generic after market fitment eg Kangol or Britax

There's a reinforcing plate welded into the bodytub underneath that would be hard to replicate by any aftermarket company, so they were probably fitted by the Dealership when ordered by the customer. My 948 Coupe was made in 1960 but had seatbelt points already in the bodywork, although it never actually had any fitted, so I think that while they were optional, the companies were hedging their bets and if you wanted belts, it was a simple matter of locating the mounting points and fitting them. When I sold that Coupe, it still had never had seatbelts fitted, and none of the MOT testers ever queried it. 

so the mount points were factory fit but the belts either dealer or retro fit. I know that my 66 spitfire had the floor mounting points for 2 point lap belts but the mount for the over shoulder part on the arch was retro-fitted.  They did not fit belts in the factory until the late 60s they were all dealer fit and then in about 68/9 they made it a requirement to retro-fit to cars that had to have mounts eg post 65. Plus the dealers fitted what they had so there is no such thing as original seatbelts before about 69, though they may be stanpart which were basically after market belts with a stanpart label.

Wiki:-  In the UK, a requirement for anchorage points was introduced in 1965, followed by the requirement in 1968 to fit three-point belts in the front outboard positions on all new cars and all existing cars back to 1965.

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

followed by the requirement in 1968 to fit three-point belts in the front outboard positions on all new cars and all existing cars back to 1965.

Three point belts, I presume as opposed to lap belts, for additional safety; as Dan says the top anchorage was then added to earlier cars.

If there was a requirement in 1968 for all existing cars back to 1965, does that mean there was a recall, or how was it implemented?

There was a brand of delivery van in the UK - possibly Mercedes? - that still did not have seatbelts fitted even in the late 1980s, and that was legal - if I remember correctly there was an exemption, possibly along the lines of that for taxi drivers, where someone was in and out of a vehicle repeatedly.

I drove HGV`s not fitted with seat belts as late as 2006. It only became mandatory for truck manufacturers to fit seat belts in 2001. If they are not fitted it is perfectly legal to drive the vehicle. The same Applied to the 2 American R-V`s I owned in the UK. Constructed before 2001 they too where exempt, and came without belts. Once fitted however it was compulsory to use them. Drivers of goods vehicles do not need to wear a seat belt while reversing or when making deliveries that involve travelling no more than 50 metres between stops.

Pete