KYK711D Vitesse 1600/6 Starter Motor

martyn wright

Sorry Martyn but when I read about your AF heart problem I could not get out of my head ' AF-across the flats' as found on spanners.
Then I was trying to work out how spanners could be a heart problem.
I had to google what AF heart problems are.

Hope it all gets sorted soon as well as the car.
I fitted the Isuzu starter to my Vitesse 6 it is smaller and spins quicker.

Adrian

Adrian!  Your not being rude and calling me a "Spanner" are you LOL.  As it stands. I was not able to remove the Bolts as I have no energy! so I have ordered a complete set of Bushes and a new set of bolts , so when i am okay I will have the bits to start and finish the Starter.

Well!  I took the Tunnel off the car "Sat on the front wheel and started to undo the Starter Bolts!(with my walking stick resting just in case)  What a pain!  They kept spinning so I had my son with a spanner in the car and we managed to undo the bolts an remove the Starter motor!  It was stinking! So I've now cleaned inside the Bell housing, the Bendix was cleaned with Brake Cleaner and has now dried.  I know need to sit down at a table and dismantle the Starter enabling me to fit the New Bush Set!  Might have a go tomorrow??

Hmmm hope the commutator isnt too badly burnt. Looks like theres two types of starter motor used on the Vitesse, the early one as shown in the workshop manual with a removable cover for inspecting the brushes which are rectangular in shape, and the later version with no cover and triangular brushes. Both look like theres some soldering/brazing involved to change brushes...

1 hour ago, johny said:

Hmmm hope the commutator isnt too badly burnt. Looks like theres two types of starter motor used on the Vitesse, the early one as shown in the workshop manual with a removable cover for inspecting the brushes which are rectangular in shape, and the later version with no cover and triangular brushes. Both look like theres some soldering/brazing involved to change brushes...

M35 G and M35 J are the types I'm used to and if I'm correct the last how-to I read on changing the brushes said you had to snip the cable then resolder the new one to it. I couldn't be bothered so just bought a NOS starter... :)

• 1 year later...

Hi All!  I'm Back To Square One LOL!  Started this back in Mar 2022!  Too add, I took the cover off too find that Rimmer sent me "Square" Bushes and mine needed the Triangle type!  Anyway these where in good condition so cleaned everything up.  Turned it over Twice every month until January 2023 when I went in for a Prostate operation!  Only now have I been able to restart it! NOT!  She is not engaging so tried turning the bendex? with a spanner? still no joy altho it is turning over but not catching?  I am thinking of putting a new Starter Motor on (Any Suggestions)

What model is your starter? Mine are both 35J and 35G but all use the same rectangular brushes. 

Try bench testing the starter off the car, see how fast it spins with no load; it may be turning but too slowly to engage the Bendix. My simplest method would be to buy a replacement, from £20 on eBay, and refurbish that.