KYK711D Vitesse 1600/6 Starter Motor

martyn wright

I'm planning all this, as I have been off work since October!  Had Knee Op went back to work for one day in December and got rushed in to Hospital with Sepsis!  Been at home ever since!  They found I had a "AF" Heart problem and now they have cancelled my Prostate Operation for at least 6-12 months.  Thought I would have  had the Car completed by know for the Shows!  Looks like I will be off another 2 months yet!  But thats life!!

Hope alls well and you get sorted soon 
Re car I’ve always taken the g/box tunnel out but I also have the engine bay shrouds in two sections each side so it’s quick to remove the rear section so it comes out too.

Every time I do it I think why didn’t Triumph put studs in the bell housing so all I had to do was undo the nuts and slide the starter in or off!

Think yourself lucky my Sprint has 3 mounting bolts one you can see and easily undo/refit the second can be seen but is a bu@@@r to get to and the third can neither be seen or get onto without lunch long extension bars and knuckle joints, usual practice is only 2 go back the two directly opposite each other as per normal car layout, later models Triumph replaced one bolt with a stud mounted in the bell housing so you could locate and position the starter for the 3 mounting bolts. Why 3 bolts why!

1 hour ago, Peter Truman said:

Why 3 bolts why!

Landrover Discovery has three and the top one - which you can't see - requires a special thin-walled 1/4 inch drive 15mm socket; anything else won't reach. 

Triumphs you can remove from outside, a suitable thin spanner will reach the nuts without having to remove the tunnel cover.

Thing is I had the engine stripped as the Head gasket had blown and had  a bent the Rod!  Put it all back together, changed the Gaskets on the Gearbox put all that back together and she started fine!  I ran the engine twice now the Starters Knackered!  What a pain!!

26 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Thing is I had the engine stripped as the Head gasket had blown and had  a bent the Rod!  Put it all back together, changed the Gaskets on the Gearbox put all that back together and she started fine!  I ran the engine twice now the Starters Knackered!  What a pain!!

Know the feeling, recently swopped the engine in my  Vitesse after a blown head gasket, put another engine in temporarily, turned into about six months. Original engine back in for about five weeks and overdrive starts acting up, iffy wiring on solenoid, so tunnel cover off again.

The joys of classic ownership.

Fitted one of the geared starters years ago, turns engine over alot better.

Regards

Paul.

'Velcro' is a trade name, shouldn't we use the generic name for this type of product?

In France the generic term is 'scratch'. So in the case of the tunnel being more Velcro than tunnel it really would be made from scratch.

Yes, very odd these 2 threads on the same product - someone's just bought share in it . . .

Could be that he turned it down because he thought it was useless after shaving off all 'whiskers' from the hook strip.

I believe that NASA coated the inside of the Apollo capsules with Velcro so that items stuck to it to stop them bouncing off the walls and floating around. Probably just an space myth.

2 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Probably just an space myth.

Probably partly, but I believe they did make fairly extensive use of Velcro as anchor points where things could be intentionally stowed while in use. In space, you can't just put your pen or spanner down on a bench and expect it to stay there.

Much further back, "no oil" recommended!  Yes!  Double Yes!!  But a dry lubricant is useful, graphite powder works well.

If you watch "Apollo 13" there's not much Velcro, if any in the capsule. I think spacesuits used it to cover over zips etc.