new soft top for vitesse .

brian wesby

Don Hoods are excellent.

I much prefer a high quality vinyl to the double duck or mohair type. DD seems to shrink, especially if left down when damp.

Bearing in mind your location a white or at least light colour may be worth thibking about

26 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Strangely. looking at Don Hoods Site, they are 80quid cheaper than Club Shop. Direct?.

Pete.

did you include vat, zip out window or whatever? there are several variations. Easy to get the "wrong" version. When I bought my spit hood, delivered costs were identical

18 minutes ago, clive said:

did you include vat, zip out window or whatever? there are several variations. Easy to get the "wrong" version. When I bought my spit hood, delivered costs were identical

Yes I was just curious. but the VAT was included in both cases?

Pete

5 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Bought my last from the Club Shop, came from Don Hoods, one mohair for the 1200 and one vinyl for the 13/60 and whilst neither has been fitted yet it was only after a lot of research and questioning. 

Colin considering the research what was the reason for switching DD to Vinyl, other than maybe cost.

After 20 years the daughters Mk2 Spit hood (American Robins) is showing its age and I need a replacement, my Vitesse is also Robins all purchased at good prices locally as NOS.

In the 60's when I had a 1200 Conv I fitted a new Don Hood and I had no issues a royal blue body with white hood looked good! Unfortunately don't have a pic with hood up, that's the ultimately mother in law in the rear seat, photo Osmotherly Moors.

Our Herald  Conv JBA 37D with Carols Mum on Osmotherley Moors.jpg

7 hours ago, PeteH said:

Yes I was just curious. but the VAT was included in both cases?

Pete

I have just compared, and the club shop is £198 for ICI vinyl, £202 with zip window. Inc VAT

Don hoods direct is £181/206 for the same thing, but plus VAT. So here the club shop is cheaper (unless DH have increased proces and the club is yet to catch up?)

Something odd going on...

2 hours ago, clive said:

I have just compared, and the club shop is £198 for ICI vinyl, £202 with zip window. Inc VAT

Don hoods direct is £181/206 for the same thing, but plus VAT. So here the club shop is cheaper (unless DH have increased proces and the club is yet to catch up?)

Something odd going on...

I was looking at Mohair in both cases?.

As Said, Just curiosity, really. Don`t see a New hood being, high priority for some time yet. Unless I factor in a possible (Inevitable?) forward price rise?.

11 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Colin considering the research what was the reason for switching DD to Vinyl, other than maybe cost.

It was more usage than cost - the 13/60 is going to be a Club runs car, taken out a lot, used and probably abused, and also used as a fun car for shop trips etc. I went for vinyl thinking that if it's damaged or destroyed by some thug in a car park somewhere then it's less of a loss. At present the overall condition of the car doesn't warrant a smart hood. (Don't tell it I said that, though!) The mohair was for the red 1200, it's more of an original display car, it should (!) be more looked after hence the better quality hood.

Thanks Colin eons ago in the UK I used Don vinyl tops for both the Sprite and Herald both times good quality and easy to fit.

I found Robins NOS for a good price locally here for Spit and Vitesse the Mk2 Spit with the folding under bar has worn maybe should be of thicker material all up a bad original Triumph design!

I have another new Robins in store for a Mk3 Spit and over the years have assembled the parts to convert the Mk2 to a fold down type Mk3 but the different B pillars have deterred me so over this winter must see if I can convert to a removable Mk2 type!