Which UJ?

AlanT

Ā 

are yousure its not disc pad noises

its easy enough with a punch and mallet toĀ  knock the inner and outer rings out the hubĀ 

there is a relief in th casting to allow a punch access to giving it a whackĀ 

dont refill the hub cavity with grease proven to just hold heat and does nothing to lube the racesĀ 

just coat the replacements with a good coating squashed in with fingers into the raceĀ 

get the felt seal the right way roundĀ  and nip the castle nutĀ  and back it off one flatĀ  to get small endfloatĀ  Ā there are two split pin

holes to aid adjustment of the nutĀ 

recheck after a few milesĀ 

• 5 weeks later...

Yesterday I replaced the left front wheel bearing on my VW Amarok due to noise when cornering to the right, loading the left side of the car.
Test drove it and noise still therešŸ˜°
I will swap rear to front tyres when it stops raining next week to see if that changes the noise.
At least a wheel bearing kit was cheaper than a new tyre and my time is free.

53 minutes ago, ahebron said:

Yesterday I replaced the left front wheel bearing on my VW Amarok due to noise when cornering to the right, loading the left side of the car.
Test drove it and noise still therešŸ˜°
I will swap rear to front tyres when it stops raining next week to see if that changes the noise.
At least a wheel bearing kit was cheaper than a new tyre and my time is free.

I just hope the replacement bearing was as good quality as the one thrown awayšŸ™

On 24/09/2022 at 19:44, johny said:

I just hope the replacement bearing was as good quality as the one thrown awayšŸ™

FAG

Ā 

15 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

dont forget it might be the rear wheel bearingĀ 

PeteĀ 

I will swap tyres front to rear first but yes that is an option

I take the point about quality. Iā€™ve just swapped a wheel bearing twice as the new one immediately failed! About to swap out a water pump with 200 miles on it thatā€™s now leaking. Running a Triumph is a game that keeps us tinkering!Ā 

20 hours ago, AlanT said:

I take the point about quality. Iā€™ve just swapped a wheel bearing twice as the new one immediately failed! About to swap out a water pump with 200 miles on it thatā€™s now leaking. Running a Triumph is a game that keeps us tinkering!

Seems to be a bit a luck in it. I changed the front bearing and both cups, about 8 years and 20 K miles ago on Vit. It was the basic from Canley, about a tenner I think. Holding up so far!