Higher idle RPm & temp gauge

Quack

it is worth giving the diaphragm a stretch and check for any slips/holes 

make sure none of the airfilter gaskets cover any part of the holes in the front face 

while checking the diaphragm check the needle is firmly fixed and the shoulder on the needle is flush with the

base of the air piston .

Pete

23 minutes ago, Quack said:

Hmmm I would say it’s down? 

It does look down. As a belt and braces check undo the four cap screws a couple of turns then see if the piston drops with a clunk. 

I had a air coming in at the manifold/carb isolator. I wondered why I couldn't tune it then heard the sucking noise!

if you want to search an air leak put some petrol in a pump oil can and squirt it along the manifold and carb gaskets 

if it speeds up it sucking air  you could use oil if you prefer waytch for it to get sucked in 

and  you wont ignite petrol on a hot exhaust   but you would light up brake fluid  nasty stuff 

Pete

Yeah I sprayed a bit of starting fluid around the hoses, no luck…this is really becoming a pain…the reason I think it’s an air leak is because some of the symptoms include higher revs, and engine struggling to start, both of which I’m having. I only sprayed on a couple parts. Bit concerned about going all over with it incase I blow myself up

Few more observations I’ve just made. I can hear air being sucked in (I guess?) through the carb air filter, still haven’t located a leak.

i just read online about screws that can adjust the mixture of fuel and air that you can find on the carb, could be of some help?

the cable dropping out wont happen when the cable is pulled from the pedal 

the screw is the adjustment for the idle  

the lower screw is to give some faster idle when on choke 

and it should have a small gap between it and the choke cam it runs agaginst when no choke is used

it looks like it is in contact with the cam , thats wrong needs a small gap the main idle screw does the idle not 

the choke cam screw  this may give you varying idles speeds 

simple to adjust and nip up the locking nut 

Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the lower screw is to give some faster idle when on choke 

and it should have a small gap between it and the choke cam it runs agaginst when no choke is used

it looks like it is in contact with the cam , thats wrong needs a small gap the main idle screw does the idle not 

the choke cam screw  this may give you varying idles speeds 

Well spotted! 

this is a CD150  with the "thames Barrier" type choke so its simple and wont have much to cause hic ups 

the choke raises a ramp which lifts the air piston and blocks the air flow 

but there must on all be a gap between the cam and its tappet screw 

any mixture adjustment is by the brass jet holder under the float chamber , the one you turn with a 2p or a washer 

when its hot and idling turn the jet screw to get the best running /smoothness and reset the idle if this speeds it up 

Pete

7 minutes ago, Quack said:

How’s this gap? Big enough? 

1B11F741-D54E-4D58-93D4-9213CCDBDD31.jpeg

Looks a bit large and 'way' of centre!

Wonder why it is bent?

Have you adjusted the idle screw? (On the throttle cable)

Just thought, have you tried pulling the throttle pedal UP when high revving, and checked the pedal return springg?

Edited by Jeffds1360
Extra thoughts

Whilst it may have little bearing on the current situation. I note the throttle cable arm is not in line with the adjusting screw?. It there damage, or "stiction" to/on the actual spindle?. If excessive wear on the spindle and bearing Air will be drawn into the body affecting the performance>

Pete

Yea, I'd get a pair of pliers on the choke cable joint and square that up.

We are talking the choke cable here, not throttle.  I don't think the choke is causing the high revs  unless not being released when warmed up? Needs checking that when the knob is pushed in (the dash) that the gap appears 

Still think the throttle pedal is not returning!! (On the floor in the car, like an organ pedal in my 13/60

Edited by Jeffds1360
More thoughts

Ummmm.  No, the spring would not push it back and would keep the throttle open and hence high revs ??? I think :)

Next time it runs away, just hook the pedal up with your toes under it.... Wear winkle pickers with toe caps in???

my hyundai ran away with me when the small rubber end of the cable at the carb end broke off and got jammed under the quadrant! Had me flummoxed until I found it.

I'll compare my setup to yours tomorrow I hope. Had chemo today and sometimes I react badly for a few days. No worries 

Oh I tried pulling the pedal forward as one of the first things, no luck though. Also I get higher than normal revs when driving too, not just idle!

sorry to hear about your situation as well. Hope the chemo is helping, all the best to you.