Higher idle RPm & temp gauge

Quack

Yeah i could definitely give it a clean up, but because of the position of it, i'd much rather spend a tenner on a new rubber cased one that can go from the battery ground directly to the starter as others mentioned, just for the peace of mind that i wont bugger my solenoid or any other bits again....not for a long time anyway.

Do you suggest i remove this old one if i add a new one direct from battery to starter, or shall i clean it up and leave both on?

1 hour ago, Josef said:

Just checked. My 13/60 engine is earthed to the chassis via a strap attached to one of the lowest bolts on the timing gear cover at the front of the engine. Had a quick panic that mine was missing an earth too though as it was hard to spot!

Thanks for the tip, I too was wondering the same. I've just been and looked, same as yours. I would never have found it without your pointer. On the down side, bit of oil stain as well - further investigation tomorrow.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Quack said:

Yeah i could definitely give it a clean up, but because of the position of it, i'd much rather spend a tenner on a new rubber cased one that can go from the battery ground directly to the starter as others mentioned, just for the peace of mind that i wont bugger my solenoid or any other bits again....not for a long time anyway.

Do you suggest i remove this old one if i add a new one direct from battery to starter, or shall i clean it up and leave both on?

If you’re going to put a new one on then the old one may as well stay where it is. From what you’ve shown us I’d be pretty sure it’s not functioning correctly, but it won’t do any harm and leaving it be saves you scrabbling around in an awkward position!

Okay just adding a new ground. Turns out the original ground was fine, as I can start the starter motor with a jump from positive to starter motor anyway lol but none the less I’m adding an extra earth just incase.

is this a good place to earth from engine to chassis?

Just come back from a lovely drive. Fitted the solenoid and the ground, car started up more beautifully than it ever has. Revs also appear to be lower so maybe the grounding was the issue! Will drive longer tomorrow and get back but so far all is well! Thanks to everyone for the help, Iain and Pete as always I owe you both big time.

As a bonus, also fitted some new stag seats in today, much comfier and fit the vehicle better IMO!

757F27E4-EC5B-4FFD-BE8D-53EA96A1945E.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah for some reason they seem to be. The passenger seat is more tilted back that the driver. I think there’s a little bracket you can remove underneath to reduce it but I decided not to mess with it

49 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Your photo has reassured me quite a bit; just fitted the front passenger seat to the Herald yesterday and thought it was tilted very far towards the rear... even with the rubber blocks on their full height. Yours are actually tilted further!

On my Vitesse, the front mounts have two set of holes which enable the front of the seat  to be raised 1.5 inches. Lowering blocks allow the rear to be set at two heights. Removing them makes three settings but fit rubber tubing to prevent rattling. Needs a split in the tubing and cable ties.

6 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

they look and suit the car well  i dont recall many have used stags seats i take it they are early mk1  as no head rest 

Those seats look like my Mk1 Vitesse ones. However, mine do not recline. Pete, you would know if the later Stag seats would fit the Vitesse. Maybe the easiest way to get headrests and not have to mod Mazda or MG ones.

Maybe even Dolomite ones.

Yeah I thought the same @Waggercouldn’t be Vitesse due to the recline. No clue but the fella sold them for £10 a piece! Couldn’t say no!

and maybe Josef. The battery was always fine though, no drain, it was the alarm that it buggered, however the alarm now works again, so must have again been related to the grounding that was messing it up? Who knows. Anyway the alarm is getting removed just incase it was the cause of the problems.

5 hours ago, Quack said:

Yeah I thought the same @Waggercouldn’t be Vitesse due to the recline. No clue but the fella sold them for £10 a piece! Couldn’t say no!

and maybe Josef. The battery was always fine though, no drain, it was the alarm that it buggered, however the alarm now works again, so must have again been related to the grounding that was messing it up? Who knows. Anyway the alarm is getting removed just incase it was the cause of the problems.

Sorry, might’ve got my wires crossed. I thought you said somewhere that the P/O had fitted a new battery shortly before you bought the car, and then you had to replace that pretty soon after? Anyway, if all seems well let’s not go looking for trouble :D

1 hour ago, Josef said:

Sorry, might’ve got my wires crossed. I thought you said somewhere that the P/O had fitted a new battery shortly before you bought the car, and then you had to replace that pretty soon after? Anyway, if all seems well let’s not go looking for trouble :D

Yep that’s right, I believe he was most likely lying or fitted a second hand battery, my one has been running fine and tested well in all the voltmeter tests :)

• Like 1

And the high revs issue seems to be continuing today….was fine for a couple days now back to square one!

played around with adjusting fuel mixture but no difference really, car still very rough as seen in video and the revs count whilst driving is again way higher. Stuttering always seems to be much much worse after the car has been driven.

bordering on deciding that I simply no longer care and just enjoying the car.

Still seems a carburetor adjustment or air leaks problem. I take it you have oil in the dash pots? When you turn the jet adjustment (at the bottom of the carb) can you hear a difference in the engine note? What are the plugs like? 

Iain