Engine turns, but wheels don't

Androo

I have a Triumph herald 13/60 1971 the engine runs well but when I select gear, any gear, the prop shaft won’t turn and so the wheels won’t turn. The wheels are free, I can turn the rear wheels by hand and the prop shaft turns. I have replaced the clutch servo and bled it and also the clutch plate and clutch pressure plate but I still have the same problem.  the gearbox is leaking oil im not sure this  a problem.

Basically I can select ANY gear without depressing the clutch pedal with the engine running and the wheels wont turn, it also happens when I press the clutch pedal

Please note there Is no noise or grinding of any kind the gearbox goes into gear freely with or with clutch pedal depressed or engine on or off but no drive

Thank you Andrew

Has the car been modified to have overdrive? Also while the gearbox was removed for fitting the new clutch it would have been good to select a gear and turn the input shaft by hand to check that drive is transmitted through to the output flange☹️

• Like 1

how did this come about   was there a sudden failure in the drive line or was the fault inherited ??

as  you see the prop turn when you turn a wheel then the loss has to be within the gearbox or the clutch 

its going to be a gearbox off and check where the loss is 

complete loss of drive from the gearbox internals  is somewhat unusual 

Pete

Why not, before removing gearbox, take the top off, not just the gear lever extension and see what you find. The gear selection sleeve's can be moved to select a gear and the output flange rotated to see the results. I definitely would not start the engine although it could be turned by hand with all spark plugs removed and gearbox sleeves put back where you found them before reassembly.

Photos or a video are always helpful.

Regards

Paul.

What happens if you try putting the car (engine/handbrake off) in 4th and push it forwards?

What SHOULD happen is the car moves but with a lot of resistance and everything from the wheels to the crank rotating - but you wouldn't have an issue if that was happening.
If something's gone seriously wrong inside the gearbox I'd expect it to not move, or make some horrible noises doing so.
If it moves/the prop turns but with more resistance (due to spinning the cogs in the gearbox, so not a huge difference) than when out of gear it would hint towards a clutch issue (somehow the input shaft isn't connected to the flywheel).
If it moves/the prop turns but exactly the same as when out of gear it would hint at a gear selection issue (no matter where you put the stick it's not moving anything inside the gearbox, which stays sat in neutral).

When you say "I can select any gear without depressing the clutch pedal" do you mean you can just slip the stick easilly and freely in to any gear/between any gears, or say you can't go in to 4th but if you slip in to another gear it will then go in to 4th?  Engine off you should be able to do the latter as most gears will be near enough to slip in and sync. themselves.  A few will bulk first time though as they happen to fully align tooth-to-tooth, but picking a different gear will jiggle things enough that when you go back to the first gear it's no longer quite tooth-to-tooth and will jiggle thenselves in.  If it's completely free and you can slip in to any gear at any time I'd be looking at the selector forks - could be something's wrong there and while you can move the stick around to your hearts content it's not actually shifting things inside the box, so not actually meshing the gears.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your advice and help. I brought the car as a non runner many years ago and has been kept outside covered up.

I do not know if the car was running. 

The car is on axle stands at the moment ... I replaced the clutch servo as it had seized  solid..

I can select each gear with engine running or not without pressing the clutch it sound like the gears are being selected as shaft moves up and don.

I ill try your advice and get back ....

Thanks again everyone for your kind input

42 minutes ago, Androo said:

I replaced the clutch servo as it had seized  solid.

Just a thought... are you sure it's fitted right? Is it possible that you've managed to assemble it such that the clutch operating arm is always "pressed" regardless of the pedal position?

Easiest thing is indeed to pop the top off the box. Disconnect the ignition coil and spin the engine on the starter. You should see if thd input shaft is turning. 

Pop the top on, select a gear, top off, turn engine over and see what is going on.

Then you will know if it it clutch/prd gearbox  or the box itself.

Herald boxes are usually pretty cheap. I have a couple of later gearboxes in Hove, but not a straight swap. Or I know a chappie who is good at fixing gearboxes. 

It might be worth taking the slave cylinder off along with the mount and see if the clutch arm is free. Problem is either the clutch is permanently disengaged or there is a broken shaft in the gearbox, which I am sure would be noisy