Key Ring / Key Fob

Bfg

I have a TR4 key ring, same as in the photo below, and also in as-new condition.  I did a quick on-line search because I was not familiar with Standard-Triumph using a green globe, and so was interested to know more. 

My web search drug up < Classic Leather Fobs >  which describes same key ring as " Triumph TR4 - original vintage new old stock 1970s keyring "  and are asking £95 for it.   

IMG_8588-600x900.jpg

On the back of the metal, its casting says  Made in England, as does the gold (coloured) print on the back of the leather, which despite that website's describing it as 'Faux Leather' ..mine does appear to be real.

To my eye it looks to be a mass produced key-fob that my Uncle Joe might have bought from a shoe repair shop or Woolworths.  My question is two fold, 1. can anyone tell me more about this style of key ring ?   and  2. Does such a key ring really sell for that much money ? 

Thanks, Pete

I have a spitfire version of that with the green globe. I think it looks later than 1970's, more 80/90s. It may even have been one I got as a freebie with insurance or with an order? I really cannot remember.

But I don't think £95 is realistic. More like £9.50 on a good day. 

I had one of those for a Vitesse, bought new in 1988 or so for a few quid. They were available for all models and many makes with the appropriate badge.

The globe was the Triumph company logo before they adopted the Standard shield.

28 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

I always thought they were copies of the original dealer fobs.

That's the question! The modern versions are copies of the originals, but how to tell what you actually have? 

Stoneleigh in the mid-1990s I bought a Brands Hatch Motor club badge for 50p, ten years later put it on eBay for about a tenner and got a lot of queries re a makers name or other identifying marks. It sold for over £150... so there are those in the know, and who collect the originals (and sell them for quite a price too!) but I reckon all of mine are cheapies. :(

^ Darn, I was hoping to sell mine for £90 ..and then finding myself one on e-bay or at another flea market.   £5 is a decent price for such a fine fob.!