Heavy steering...tyre pressures?

Piglet

so what tyres are fitted  what size  ???  

what pressure are you currently useing ??

has the steering rack been greased and the  trunions  oiled ???

what size is the steering wheel   

have you read up about the rack damper ...???  if its be de shimmed it can make the rack very stiff 

if you jack the car do things turn freely ???

lots of odd things can affect loads 

32 is more than most would use   maybe 26-28    modern tyres do need higher psi than the  ols book values of the past 

but at 32 i think it would shake your teeth a bit 

Pete

1 hour ago, Piglet said:

Sorry for all the questions but if you don't ask etc! The steering on my MK3 Spit is really heavy, and I'm wondering if upping the tyre pressure to maybe 32psi would improve matters?

Alex

Heavy at low / parking speeds is normal, remember there's no power steering!

My Spit had a 13" steering wheel when I got it and i was running the 175 front tyres at 26psi which was hard work.

I now have a 14" wheel and run the tyres at 29psi which has improved things a lot but still a good compromise for comfort & grip.

My GT6 is a bit heavy - 13" steering wheel, 175/70 tyres

The Spitfire has the correct 15" steering wheel, 155/80 tyres at 30psi. The steering on that is nice and light, tending to moderate at parking speed. Nowhere near as light as a modern with PAS, of course.

every inch you loose at the handwheel  rim ups the input torque 

if you like the  a 13" stg wheel but dont like the efforts  you could fit the 6 cyl rack which has a lower ratio   ( identified with a small groove in the input splines )

this is the old conundrum of quick but heavy or slow and light  all down to you own preference and driving style 

pete

It also comes down to what steering wheel you can get your legs in under. I had to change the GT6 wheel to a smaller wheel, semi-dished off eBay (very nice it was too for a fiver or thereabouts) and it served very well for years but made the steering slightly heavier. It had a thick padded rim so easier on the fingers than a wooden wheel. In the Herald, with more leg room, I can keep the original wheel with just a period cover over it. You may want to experiment with different sizes of wheel and different profiles (flat, dished or semi dished) to find the best compromise of size, style and ease of steering.