Lora, the '67 Spitfire

I tried. I really did. But no matter what I tried my rivet gun refused to do the deed. So I resorted to plan A and slightly widened the gaps in the channel and that worked a treat. For 2 rivets and then my gun bit the dust. Popped to the hardware shop and got another and they are all in and reshaped back to how they were. Next task is fit the rubber seal. Give me strength that is nigh on impossible. I used Fairy Liquid to let it slide in and I'd get about half way and a bit pops out. I decided to tackle some bike related stuff instead and I'll have another try tomorrow.

Alex

Probably a bit late on this, but I slipped a very small nut over the stem of the rivet to push the nose of the gun away from the popper and seat the head of the rivet in really close. Worked a treat until I dropped the little nut.  Yes it bounced. Wonder where it is now, all those years later.

8 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Probably a bit late on this, but I slipped a very small nut over the stem of the rivet to push the nose of the gun away from the popper and seat the head of the rivet in really close. Worked a treat until I dropped the little nut.  Yes it bounced. Wonder where it is now, all those years later.

If it had been a screw or nail. Your tyre(s) would have found it quite quickly. I have a load of brass BA nuts (very small used in model making) I dread dropping one, there must be dozens scattered about the shed and garage. and being brass, the magnet on a piece of string won`t find them.

Pete

I got the rubber seal in the channels! A neighbour saw my predicament and suggested coconut oil and it worked. Just slid on nice and easy. So I now have a nice snug fit. Also put on the new boot hinges, looks so much better.

One thing that's puzzling me is the plate that sits where the rear window is. What does it do and how do I mount it properly? 

Alex

IMG_20221016_154051.jpg

IMG_20221016_154055.jpg

That plate is supposed to be incorporated into the hood, so that the middle part of the hood is semi-permanently attached. You can remove it when removing the whole soft top (to fit the hard top) but it stays in place when the hood is merely folded. The poppers for the tonneau and hood bag are fitted through the hood vinyl into that plate.

Re hinges I fitted new aftermarket ones to the Spit Mk2 (Healey Factory here in Melbourne) and have had experience of the hinge pin working it's way out fortunately when the boot lid came free no damage was done to the paintwork. The little splined end of the pin do not appear to be a tight enough fit. My DIY fix was a little superglue on the splines before tapping them back home appears to have worked?

Is there an alignment issue stressing the hinge assembly or just aftermarket inferior goods?

Anyone else had this issue with the new aftermarket hinges.

10 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Is there an alignment issue stressing the hinge assembly or just aftermarket inferior goods?

I've seen more than one car where the boot hinges have been swapped. They're handed. Getting that wrong leads to nasty alignment issues stressing the pivots, and can even break the hinge.

• 4 months later...

Not been much worth reporting with Lora. She gets a good run out 2 or 3 times a week, and always puts a huge grin on my face! However the clutch MC has been leaking badly and needed replacing. Normally I'd tackle this myself but my local mechanic said the copper pipe bolts will shear off and they'll need replacing, so I ordered some. Not needed after all that and the job was done in a jiffy. The old original Girling MC was truly manky but I might get a repair kit and repair it to keep as a spare. Note new Tanya battery. £48 with next day delivery.

Alex

IMG_20230316_135928.jpg

IMG_20230316_140704.jpg

IMG_20230316_140711.jpg

IMG_20230316_142642.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Lots more done to little Lora. New windscreen top fitted, and the new seat covers. Also plonked in the part that holds the hood down at the rear. You'll all have to take my word for this as posting pics is nigh on impossible.

Alex

• Like 1