Mintex 1144 Brake pad compatibility

trigolf

Evening all,

The existing front pads on my Vit are a bit thin now, so I thought I'd finally fit the Mintex 1144 pads that I bought just before lockdown. I got them from ebay, from a UK based motor sport company, after following advice on here as to which pad part no. to buy (MGB 633). There was plenty of advice, that the pad retaining pin holes would need easing out to suit the Girling 16P calipers, which I subsquently did and then put them on the shelf to fit later, believing they would go straight on.

Well, time went on and I finally got round to the job today and hit a snag ! As you can see from the pics - the friction material is a different shape, but more importantly, the backing plate is a different shape and too big. The leading edge of the the backing plate is fouling the caliper carrier mounting bracket and stopping the pad retaining pins lining up with the holes in the caliper by a couple of mm. Grr.....😡

So - have I bought the wrong pads ?

Gav

20220606_181122.jpg

20220606_183651.jpg

20220606_180836.jpg

The 525 would be the correct one however I have fitted the same shape of pad as Gavs to my Vitesse and it works very well. I had to grind off a little from the two inner points of the backing plate. Also to help you could go a little bigger on the pin holes which also ensures that, under breaking, the pad load is taken on the caliper itself not the pins...

3 hours ago, trigolf said:

So - have I bought the wrong pads ?

Technically yes….. but I’m not sure it’s possible to get the right ones for the earlier calipers. Certainly all the sets I’ve had (3x Mintex 1144 and 1x Ferodo DS2500) for the 16Ps on my Vitesse have needed modifications. I just drill out the holes for the bigger pins and relieve the backing plate a little on the inner pad. Works just fine.

Just bought another set for my GT6 but it has M16 calipers so hopefully they’ll just fit…..

Nick

Morning all. Thanks for the replies. I can confirm I have 16P imp calipers fitted to a 2L Mk 2. I'd previously seen mention of enlarging the pin holes, but not grinding a little off the backing plate before. I will proceed with caution!

Gav

Yes, the advice concerning the 633 pads needs to be revised as originally I dont think Mintex did the 525 in 1144 material so there was no other option for the 16P calipers. However now with this latest product available I think thats got to be the preferred pad....  

• 3 weeks later...

I recall grinding down the side of pads back in the late 80s for my Spitfire Mk4 6 fitted with Mk2 Vitesse front brakes.

And I have posted in the past about getting a set of 1144 pads to fit a Vitesse 6, they dont list them for it but the same caliper is used on a Lotus something or other.