SU carb jet sticking

sulzerman

With SUs that's fairly common and normally caused by misalignment of the choke linkage on the carb. It can be fixed by judicious bending of the bit of metal between the jet and the cam. You just need to work out which way it needs to be bent.

the bits of bent rods and levers are not the brightest set up and as Rob says  probably needs a bit of bending

do  check if the jet linkage is screw fixed to the base of the jet its not tight and binding

some find the jet tube is a few  mm too long and that can jam the return , they cut a little off the tube 

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

some find the jet tube is a few  mm too long and that can jam the return , they cut a little off the tube

My recent Dolly Sprint HS6 had this issue after rebending the jet linkage the pipes had to be shortened to get a smooth carb action.

Well documented my problems with choke linkages on a couple of threads, one in the last few days. Took me about 30 years to sort it out. When I did, it took a couple of minutes. Essential to make sure that the pressed metal linkages are not trying to push at an angle and are straight or square on to the direction of push/pull.

My driving school car had a Stromberg carb. The diaphragm was always splitting when it was my 'Turn'. Really gutless and embarrasing. Thank goodnes it was fine during my test. The practice worked in my favour. As a result, I never wanted a car with Strombergs. I have yet to touch one.

My Vitesse 6 had twin Solex without the accelerator pumps. I adjusted them once in 3 years. Tick over at 600 rpm, no dying or spitting. Only 27 mpg though.

Now where is my tin hat?

Has anyone else noticed that two of the main carburettors used on Triumphs are featured in James Bond films. Karl Stromberg in 'The Spy Who Loved Me'- and the Solex agitator in 'The Man With the Golden Gun'. Not managed to tie in SUs as yet, any offers? 

Does any of this feature in a Bond film?

S.U. stands for Skinner Union and the first carburettor was made by Herbert Skinner and his brother, Thomas Carl Skinner, (Fig. 3) in 1904, and patented in 1905 (No. 3257/05).

I can see some relevance to Hannibal Lecter!