Chassis Waxoyl

You can get extension nozzles to go on your spray gun that are half a meter (20") long, so you won't need so many holes!

How will you fill up the holes? Buy some plastic plugs - welding them shut is not a good idea on a chassis rail full of Waxoyl!

If your chassis is bare, then after spraying one end, turn it to leave that end down to allow spread into the extremities.

Good luck!

John

Yes, but I wouldn't use waxoil when there are much better alternatives. 

Use a copressor and an underseal type gun, and it will blast teh protector stuff in a vapur which will coat the whole inside of the chassis, and soak into any surface rust (which waxoil doesn't) 

There are a few holes already in the chassis so use those where possible. A good hot day helps too.

If you have a bare chassis, consider treating it upside down first and then rotating it and doing it again. Just thoughts over lunch. Cover everything on the floor, it will run out of the most unexpected places and is very yucky, especially in hot weather.

3 hours ago, Pettifordo said:

I’ve already purchased the Waxoyl so will have to go with that 🧐

Good point on welding and Waxoyl.

I was thinking rubber bungs.

Simplest method that I've ever found is to jack up the rear of the car - really high - then put copious amounts of Waxoyl into the ends of the boot outriggers. You need it to be very runny, almost liquid but it flows right down the main rails and any large amounts will settle over time, especially on warm days when it gets soft. Otherwise, any of the holes already in the side rails will do, but the aim is to get the Waxoyl as runny as possible. I heat mine in the Schutz tin on a gas burner - dangerous, may be, but outside and away from anything else - and it melts like tea. You can get a jet six feet long out of the Schutz gun and that really coats the inside of the chassis.

If you still want to drill holes don't do it anywhere where it might weaken anything structural (obviously!!). My 13/60 has holes drilled everywhere by a PO, both on top and sides of the chassis rails. I'll plug them with rubber grommets after Waxoyling.

16 hours ago, JohnD said:

Waxoyl can be runnyfied more safely by dilution with White Spirit.   Also useful for cleaning the spry and spills.

Putting some oil on with it also helps it last. But I have seen too many cases of water getting under wax oil and rusting merrily away to ever use it.

Dinitrol or dynax for me. 

On 21/06/2022 at 13:41, Pettifordo said:

we had waxed the door internals after a refurb , Oh thers a small crack in the end of the glass channel .missed that 

kaboom you can get flames 8 ft high out of the door carcass  the mess of the extiguisher and the brown stains makes you think twice 

combustion was instant .  it never damaged the paint but nearly took the roof out . 

pete

I’ve already purchased the Waxoyl so will have to go with that 🧐

I didn’t drill any additional holes and it was a really frustrating job with the Waxoyl pump getting clogged up and Waxoyl everywhere.

Hopefully the next owner will benefit from it as I don’t intend to get it wet….ever !!