Spitfire MK2 soft top hood - already have frame

I have not had the little hooks at the front for 30 years, they were there for a bit e tra security ie to stop someone taking the front of the hood off from outside, but they can still take the back off so pretty pointless

• 5 weeks later...

Start by fitting the frame into the sockets on the b posts. Push down on the frame to compress the springs and lock it in the compressed state by rotating the stems in the sockets so that the pins engage in the cutouts. If you find that these are a bit stiff then lubricate them by rubbing a soft pencil up and down the stems to put some graphite into the sockets.

Place the soft top over the frame and tuck the metal reinforced edge under the lip at the front of the windscreen frame capping. If your soft top has the poppers already fitted then pop these in place at the ends of the windscreen capping. if your new hood hasn't come with the poppers already fitted (they usually don't) then move on to pulling the rear edge of the hood backwards and fitting your new steel bar into the 2 chrome clips on the rear deck. 

Now you can mark where the hood poppers need to be fitted on the front edge of the soft top (if they haven't been factory fitted) and the poppers where the hood attaches to the rear deck (should be 3 each side).

Take the hood off again and fit the poppers. The soft top also attaches round the front frame bar with a flap and 3 or 4 further poppers.

Repeat the above steps.

Once the hood is clipped in place and the poppers attached, rotate the 2 frame stems to release the spring tension in the frame.

Pull out the elastic tensioners at the front of the draught excluders and clip them to the hooks near the top of the windscreen frame, partly hidden under the rubber moulding and pull the rear ones back round the frame to the poppers fitted on the frame uprights.

Easy.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian for that detailed writeup. Great tip with the graphite.

It's more straight forward than I had thought - though I think I'm going to take the opportunity to replace the windscreen capping first as the one I currently have has a few extra holes in it - previous owner has gone at it with a drill.

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, RichTeaBiscuit said:

Stupid question alert - how do I fit the poppers? Is there some sort of tool that cuts the vinyl and connects both sides?

Sadly not. You have to use a punch like this one to make the holes. Then a tool like the one shown here to hammer the durable dots together. There are ratcheting plier type tools to do the second step but they’re rather more expensive than the ‘smack it with a hammer’ type.

Both those links are random examples rather than recommendations of specific tools to buy!

• Thanks 1

We've got both those plus a set of hole punches, they are really my wife's from her days as a theatre costumière, although it is always me that uses them. It depends on the material which works better, the punch & hammer is a better bet if you are going to buy something.

Very similar to eyeletting tools for making tie down sheets/groundsheets etc: Lidle BTW had some Punch pliers in their collection a month or two back?. A Punch/hammer combo will probably be more effective on a heavy vynl Cover?. I found that a Lead Block made cutting easier, and saved the punch, and can be "recast" (sand mould, old pan and the stove) when it gets too mutilated, Lead was a "leftover" from a house build 20 years ago.

Pete

• 3 months later...

I've been out to the garage and it looks like the frame goes into the mounting tube for just under 10cm. 

There is no paint on my frame where it goes into the mounting tubes and it is quite a snug fit. You seem to have good thickness of paint on yours and that won't be helping.

Edited by Adrian Cooper
Had another idea
  • Thanks 1