mx5 seats in my 1500 spitfire

dylisdog

I haven't done it on a Spitfire myself, but i am sure plenty have. I did recently replaced the after-market seats that my TR4 came with for a set of Mk2 MX5 seats (separate headrests, the runners were from a Mk1) 

I spent a long time looking for a set of second-hand ones, but ended up contacting a chap who often advertises on eBay, he supplied some recovered in a style a little more in keeping with the TR.

..... Andy

1. Buy some MX5 seats.

2. Chop a couple of bits off the runners at the front, plus the "spikes". This is all very obvious. Think you may need to hammer a bit flat too, but memory is hazy on this. Most (all?) bolt holes are the same, may need penny washers.

I did so to my spitfire, but even for a correct height person (me, 5@8) I found the seating position too high and found the top rail of teh windscreen was in my sightline. I took the foams out of he bases and cut 2" off them at the bottom, that was better but not ideal. However, others, including a good friend, have them at he is 6' or so and is fine with them. So nest to try some in somebody elses car first, go to one of the big Triumph shows or ask about at your local meeting, somebody is bound to know such a car. And if you ask people are always happy to help etc.

There is an article by Paul Teglirizer here http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/miataseats/

Hi,

I'm 6 foot.

I regret having MX5 seats in my car. I sit too high.

One day soon I will have to investigate how to remove some foam from the cushion.

Can't have my fully reconditioned leather spitfire seats refitted into the car as the garage "lost" them.

I wish I never had the MX5 seats fitted.

Cheers,

Iain.

Hi,

My mkIV came with mx5 seats and I love the comfort they give, they also look great. Having the head rests also is positive. I have never noticed any height issues but this is my first Spitfire so I have nothing to compare against. They adjust well. The couple of negatives are firstly that they are not the original item so you get the odd comment at shows,but the biggest issue is that with the hood down they tend to rub on the hood mechanism and trap the seat belt. I plan to look for a seat belt guide that would hold them up to stop the belt getting caught. I have no plans to refit original seats.

Height (of driver/seat) seems to be the only real issue with MX5 seats - even freshly refoamed standard seats can't touch the MX5 ones for comfort and support.

I'm a 5'6" short-ass so the extra height isn't an issue - still looking through, rather than over the windscreen - but the taller you are the more you're going to need to compromise your driving position to fit.  My advice is try to find someone with them already fitted and arrange a try-out.  I'm in south London...though the car's currently at JY Classics getting some TLC :(

I too have never understood the height thing, but then I am five seven, so like Mijt, I am looking through the screen on my Herald, not over it. Mine are on 10mm steel bars bolted to the original mounts, so not completely flat to the floor, and I find the traditional Herald problem of the steering wheel polishing your left leg is also gone. MX5 are one of the few options for a Herald convertible, and I would not go back to the old seats at any price. All down to individual preference and physique I guess.

Regards

Steve C

Seems to be some drift towards herald here!

On a herald MX5 seats are brilliant, and yes, will need a little lift if anything. However, a spitfire is a very different kettle of fish. Still very comfy (they are the best seats I have sat in of any car I think) but the position just didn't suit me. It really is a case of trying them and seeing. 

If you have a roll bar, it may be an issue too, and a full tonneau cover wont fit either! Other seats that may be worth a look include RX7 (don't bother with RX8, I got a pair and gave up, the mechanism is very difficult to alter!)

The bugbear with all the club cars is the narrowness of the interior space, which severely limits available choices. I did once think of looking at those Rascal-type forward control mini-vans that several of the oriental makers knock out, to see if the seats from one of those would provide an option. Anyone tried it?

Regards

Steve C

Do the TSSC have any members in Japan, only I can't help thinking some of the Kei sports cars could be a good hunting ground for alternative seats?

OK, you're basically looking at buying from Japan with the associated curreny exchange/shipping/import duty costs but even the latest generation of cars are limited to 1.48m wide, the same as a Spitfire and something along the lines of the Suzuki Cappuccino must have similar seat size restrictions...

My modern has very comfortable seats, in fact it's a motorized armchair, so I was acutely aware of the failings of my GT6 seats. I realized the inner foams had crumbled away to dust and I was sitting on the frame. I got new foams and the seats are now pretty comfortable, I'm 5'8" and heavier than I should be. This was one of the best things I've done to my car and cheaper than alternative seats. Worth thinking about if it's comfort you're after.