Vitesse mk2 instrument panel removal

Iain T

On 13/10/2022 at 17:02, Gary Flinn said:

Here's a bit of Ohms Law

Power (P) equals Volts (V) x Amps (I) (P = V x I)

Transform the formula I = P divided by V

So the Amps for a 3W Bulb =  3 divided by 12 = 0.25 Amps 

Simples 🙂 

OK for DC, but for power use Amps squared x R, or Volts squared divided by R for AC. Only applies within the alternator. All household stuff though. Especially transformers.

On AC, Volts divided by Amps will give you the Impedance, not necessarily equal to Resistance.

Apologies to the Electrical Engineers, don't wanna tell you how to suck eggs.

• Like 1

made the upturn joint with a thick bead of bath sealant  as you cant realy fold hardboard even tried a nice Vee cut but the srface still cracked open 

so a simple butt joint held in place and goo'd it together   and yuo  can choose hatched or smooth surface just rattle can blacked 

Pete

17 hours ago, Iain T said:

Another question chaps. The cardboard finisher panel under the dash was fixed with plastic fir tree fixings which I had to cut. Also my panel is in one piece so can't be easily removed. Can this be fixed in two pieces either side of the steering column and what (removable) fixings are used. 

Iain 

Iain, this is the original millboard fixing fasteners. Agree that as a one piece trim, it's a stupid arrangement!

Gav

20221018_132035.jpg

45 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

do they go across behind and above the steering column, or just along the lower front? 

Under the dash, on top of the steering column (that's why you can't remove it) the forward to under the battery tray panel. Ends just short of the bulkhead. Bonkers! 

yes made a   Mk1 copy of the wonky,   and then made a Mk2 to fit where the original didnt

but from an 8x4 sheet there was a lot left over !!!!

Oh and i fitted spire nuts to the brkts  and fixed with a simple tapper screw and washer 

far easier to take down no more pry /lever /ping wheres that gone antics 

Pete

The harness is hung on the bulkhead clips and the main instrument panel is back on. I have given up the fight to reattach the centre cable and light pull inset panel. It's round one to the  U brackets, cables etc! An awful lot of phaffin about. I only want to do this once! The Triumph designers must have thought let's make this difficult and fiddly..... 

Iain 

I had my own blonde moment this morning. I thought before I fitted the cables to the dash controls I would make sure the electrics worked. Connected the battery and ignition dead as a dodo no lights nothing. Spent half an hour checking then looked at the battery negative terminal, I hadn't refitted the anti theft connector knob! Had a quiet laugh at myself and hey presto we have power and no burning smell! I haven't made up the gauge light loom yet but it's looking good and much tidier plus I now know how it works....providing you correctly connect the battery. 

Now to those bloomin control cables☹️

Iain 

On 18/10/2022 at 13:53, Iain T said:

Under the dash, on top of the steering column (that's why you can't remove it) the forward to under the battery tray panel. Ends just short of the bulkhead. Bonkers! 

Thanks... to my shame I couldn't remember and have none fitted which I can check! I'll be fitting one to the 13/60 later but only after the dashboard swap and touch-up repainting. One of my spares is for LHD, bought at Stafford years ago - one side black, the inside grey, so I just reversed it and painted the grey side black.

For fixing them, you can buy a whole range of modern push-fit clips and studs, the heads on some look the same as originals but have a more 'forgiving' method of fixing with plastic bristles or ridges.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in harness, forgive the pun, after attending to in laws ongoing health issues. The speedo and tacho clamps are somewhat trying to screw down. Found the reversing light wires and ordering a T9 gearbox switch from BGH. Originally the reversing spot lamp was operated by a dash switch which seems to have disappeared. Hazard light now work. I gathered up the excess doin' nuffin wires stripped out from behind the dash. The red mess was for the instrument lights. I'll put the black cardboard panel back tomorrow and whenever it's dry take the car for a drive. 

IMG_20221106_144703.jpg

IMG_20221106_144913.jpg