Vitesse mk2 instrument panel removal

Iain T

11 minutes ago, Iain T said:

It's the thermocouple type,

No, that's not "thermocouple", it's the "capillary" type. Thermocouples are a tiny electrical differential metal junction that needs very sensitive electronics to read. Capillary gauges are entirely mechanical.

12 minutes ago, Iain T said:

can the cable be pulled out the back.

No. Those capillary ones are a real pain because you can't dismantle them at all.

Thanks NM yes I've guggled it and the capillary ones are a pain. So to remove the extra oil pressure gauge I have I might dip into my pocket yet again and buy a combined water temperature/oil pressure gauge. However so I can remove the fascia I'll have to take the sensor out of the engine housing and try and pass it through the bulkhead. 

Iain 

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

I'll try and find an electrical water and plumbed oil pressure gauge. Don't know if they exist in the Smith's range.

I've not come across one. All the combined gauges I've found have been capillary types, which is why I ended up adding holes (and binnacles) to my Vitesse dash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

caerbont auto  who make the gauges  only show bulb type dual gauges 

I'm sticking with what I have and spending the "savings" on booze. Now that's a good plan. The AFR and oil pressure gauges are where the radio used to be so If I want to listen to music I'll fit Bluetooth speakers (there are wired speakers already in the footwell) and pair with my phone. 

I'll be posting later once I've totally removed the fascia. I can see two orange boxes fixed to the bulkhead that are definitely not standard fittings. 

Iain 

I think this Bluetooth thingy is outdated and I'll never use it. I'm going to strip it out which will tidy up the wiring. Anyone want one? 

I've also stripped out the wiring for the now removed front spotlamps. They were big wires. The lamps will be going up for sale as well. My issue was the lamp mounts covered the outer edges of the grille so reduced airflow. 

Iain 

44 minutes ago, Wagger said:

I drive mine to get away from modern tec. No point fitting a radio,. The wind noise etc and my hearing make it pointless. You have great patience guys, Well done.

Same here (and less to go wrong), I can always take my blue tooth portable speaker, if needs must. 

1 hour ago, Wagger said:

The wind noise etc and my hearing make it pointless.

Same here, when the radio did work I couldn't really hear it over all the din and being in a sheet metal and press shop for decades has taken its toll on my hearing. 

I'm going to use Silent coat or Dodomat on the bulkhead. The floors have thick Dynamat but nothing on the bulkhead or firewall if your from the other side of the pond. 

Iain 

13 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

like a period radio, for the looks alone. Just a bit more automobilia for the interior. Never wire it in, though.

I had the same setup but the radio on top of the speaker. All very nice until I wanted to remove the tunnel during my many engine and gearbox woes. Eventually I got fed up and but it in a box. It's a Motorola. 

Iain 

Only had a couple of hours on the car today. Stripped out the iO Play and a few other wires that seemed to go nowhere. All a bit clearer and I've found a previous overheating problem with the white/red instrument panel light wires ie they melted! Now I know why the panel lights are wired incorrectly. There isn't a white/red wire connected to the master light switch for a reason. So at sometime in the previous 5 or 6 years from being completely rebuilt to my buying the car someone has seriously overloaded the system. I'll strip back the harness tape and inspect more tomorrow. If I'm correct I can repair with new wires. 

IMG_20221009_115015.jpg

white and red are normal for the key switched to starter solenoid 

panels should as sides   just a red 

so its been molested in its previous life with what ever was at hand 

i have a 100 yd drum of orange /yellow  I have used it for years and theres lots left to confuse any wiring diagram

when used for some odd repair or extension /add on      yes it makes a headache for the unknowing   ha !

Pete

Pete

On the Haynes diagram it's red/white from terminal 8 on the master switch. I don't really care what colour, I have some red wire I could use and wire the four bulbs in parallel. The master switch has the single brown and two brown/red wires connected. On operating what do the first and second pulls turn on eg lights then interior? 

Off now to strip the burnt harness. It looks like it's only the red/white that's fried. 

Iain