Vitesse mk2 instrument panel removal

Iain T

Two of the 2.2w bulbs are missing and the holders have seen better days so a few questions. Can I use a 3w as opposed to the dim 2.2w bulbs? I assume I can use 5amp wire to connect even using 3w bulbs? Best place to buy new holders and bulbs (I've used 12 volt planet before)? Then there is led....... 

Iain 

44 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

Here's a bit of Ohms Law

Thanks Gary I did the calc (I remember doing the proof a long long time ago!) but I like to refer to the forum as a belt and brace! 

I will explore the led option for the instruments. 

Then it's 'just' a case of tidying up the wiring for the extra must haves ie AFR, USB etc etc. Plus of course finding the missing door interior light switch bit. 

As always I'm most grateful for everyone's help. It does make a difference when tackling something you've never done before. 

Iain 

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

Thanks Gary I did the calc (I remember doing the proof a long long time ago!) but I like to refer to the forum as a belt and brace! 

I will explore the led option for the instruments. 

Then it's 'just' a case of tidying up the wiring for the extra must haves ie AFR, USB etc etc. Plus of course finding the missing door interior light switch bit. 

As always I'm most grateful for everyone's help. It does make a difference when tackling something you've never done before. 

Iain 

LEDs are cheap and do drastically improve the dash illumination. But it won’t look the same as the incandescent lights (if that bothers you). 

40 minutes ago, Josef said:

But it won’t look the same as the incandescent lights (if that bothers you). 

I'm going to speak to Classic LED tomorrow. He advised on other conversions and is very helpful. Ideally I want the same look in all large and small gauges. 

Iain 

For warning lights, remember the old filament bulb throws light out in all directions in the hope that some will seep through the lens. Go for an LED directional bulb which throws light out straight ahead - it's an amazing improvement, but you can't really tell it's LED when lit and shining through the original lens / cover so still looks period.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151848785180?hash=item235ae4951c:g:Xq4AAOSwT5tWHnYb&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4P8Z4mvGBBKwoHULWuPG7a43EnVhKXYp9CQkQHL1OXbQt0HGYJnCsYobsCXiiy3LciqCQSM%2FFQhzS7MkHo%2BJjzv3WfWqbJvOMr%2Fak5gkz9lU46BkFfi4E%2BhP%2FiiUBAkzymrsQda8zLgAeWC%2BQC%2BDlFzEugk2UyVuU%2F6BMf6C8Gw9KGsFpcqVIqjFH047DFiew9CfnoVtWT7ASOog4whkbd2p9sgpsdQ%2BLUX0KwCrMM5sMlBthgUNfysBit4WvfZnumd5Tip4CJ0wmM%2F0YmcQWyNmF20%2F%2BQlUn5pnGfJXOmim|tkp%3ABk9SR7L4_ef6YA

For gauges you can go for coloured LEDS; soft green (ask Doug!) will replicate the green filtered colour of some of our gauges (other colours available) and again looks period. I just went for brilliant white on the GT6, and will probably do so on the current Herald, as I need to see them in the dark, not bathe in soft whatever.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272937252299?hash=item3f8c53f5cb:g:blAAAOSwuMFUfjEd&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0E8blyIoJDOKIp7AWo7RuFSmupC91SSLmh%2BhJJ1sKsAMSD4TEIGkYTnWGF4pfL5bSaagOVcIijqxIlN4xNnxSjllzp8uMadU8GD1SAaBsbv4mgePQV5kBnvby5KF8s6GcOyTeh4ytqW3oyjxbZ233UtwZReWZxL%2B9%2Boc2UhYeO7S5meAluL84MM6KX%2BEXGdBsHBMo3fxXtNGnJjE%2FMBfGayj9oshRkDhX4HYdz5bVEb054Q0DC4whJ%2FQtyla06cWGcqsSsgz%2FqEznbYMISeizzQ%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5bJ8Of6YA

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Go for an LED directional bulb which throws light out straight ahead - it's an amazing improvement, but you can't really tell it's LED when lit and shining through the original lens / cover so still looks period.

I've replaced mine with LEDs and agree with Colin. I replaced the indicator light on the dial with a LED, it was better than the original then replaced that with a directional bulb even better. 

Thanks for the advice Colin and Chris. I'm only changing the gauge, speedo and tacho lights. I ordered parts this morning after speaking to Classic LED. I've ordered GLB 987 E10MES warm white  and BA9S GLB233 989. Also ordered holders as my ones are the wrong type. I'm going to earth them to the dash fixing bracket that bolts to the footwell side panel. 

Also ordered some Dodomat for the bulkhead. 

Tacho refurbished by JDO and being returned today. Good service. They said the magnets had slightly moved and it was reading high. At 65mph it was reading 4000rpm which at around 21mph per 1000rpm doesn't equate. 

Iain 

• Like 1

Dodomat arrived today. I'm too mean to pay £10 for a "Dodomat" roller so I'm going to use a roller off a small table my wife uses for her sewing machine. Yes before anyone asks I do have her approval! 

Looking at the existing gauge wiring it's all in series so that can't have helped. I'm wiring as per Haynes diagram. 

Had to order two new holders for the speedo and tacho led lights. Both as fitted to the car were different to each other and both didn't fit the led lights. I made sure the new ones were for 16mm holes. Some holders are made for 18mm holes. 

Iain 

IMG_20221017_113216.jpg

17 minutes ago, PeteH said:

£1.99 off "tinternet".👍

Ta Pete. The Dodomat is the 1.8mm thick product and very flexible.

Last stripping out of wires that go nowhere then I'll start to fix the Dodomat to the top of the bulkhead panel. It'll be a patchwork quilt as there are a few holes with wires coming out of the bulkhead. 

Iain 

I have just 'amended' the warning lights on the Vitesse dashboard; with the three-gauge unit I'm fitting I lost both indicator and high beam warning lights that would have been on the Herald 2-gauge unit, so needed to find an alternative location. I've gone for the original vitesse indicator jewel mount, drilled out to circular, and another directly below for the headlamp warning beam, but fitted Lucas 'jewel' lights and LED bulbs. Quite an amazing result! (Gauges are just set in place to fill the holes, and the jewels have just been loosely fitted, so NOT the final setup...)

EA6369EE-74AD-400B-BE24-3DB152E33331_1_105_c.jpg.82b7dbf7053460584dd08f30d2a578d2.jpg  EC3E9DFD-8D1A-41BF-A2FB-FB02DD1D0235_1_105_c.jpg.25c6994a5d8151912ea6f8abc9c59916.jpg

Hi Colin😎.... 

Enough frivolity, the Dodomat Deadn was very easy to cut and mould round the upper bulkhead. I can't remember what I used to line the tunnel but the ali was much thicker and the pads much more difficult to mould. I hope the Dodomat works but then it must be better than just sheet metal. I'll do the lower bulkhead when I've refitted the dash and wiring as there's too much stuff in the way. 

I'm quite enjoying sorting this out. I wonder if everything will work....??

Iain 

Another question chaps. The cardboard finisher panel under the dash was fixed with plastic fir tree fixings which I had to cut. Also my panel is in one piece so can't be easily removed. Can this be fixed in two pieces either side of the steering column and what (removable) fixings are used. 

Iain