Pads for Spit 1500

AlanT

Experts.

Which pads are best for typical local running? I’d like a bit more cold bite than the standard pads in my Type 14s. Can’t see my wife driving the car much with the brakes as they are Vs her modern.

Do Greenstuff or Mintex deliver this or are they really only an advantage when brakes are hot? Will both fit without any messing about? 

Interested to hear your experiences.
Thanks 

Alan

34 minutes ago, AlanT said:

Experts.

Which pads are best for typical local running? I’d like a bit more cold bite than the standard pads in my Type 14s. Can’t see my wife driving the car much with the brakes as they are Vs her modern.

Do Greenstuff or Mintex deliver this or are they really only an advantage when brakes are hot? Will both fit without any messing about? 

Interested to hear your experiences.
Thanks 

Alan

The problem is modern pad material is designed to be used with servo assisted cars. The original asbestos pads are fantastic, and teh mintex 1144 pad material is pretty similar in performance. 

The other option is to fit a remote servo, which can make drivinga Triumph much less different to people used to modern cars. A servo kit is about £70...

10 minutes ago, AlanT said:

Thanks @clive @dougbgt6 I’ll get some Mintex as a start. Funnily enough, I don’t recall the brakes being poor from when I had a spit in 1989, so something certainly changed.

Yes, the pad material! 

Be aware that Mintex sell a variety of pad materials, the ones that are about £15 are a modern material that really work best with a servo. the 1144 pad material will cost over £40. Cheapest is usually demon tweaks via ebay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302357818474?epid=8017013029&hash=item4665ee2c6a:g:4uQAAOSwBmti0RCU&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoCAysVXPOaXqFrPYqO%2BQuJcmupBaoIv9c47qZumVbXeBmkff1p7YFU1ixoN96y43%2FCVL9KCHCAxkjMzferv5YEmBpujphPs06HL%2BHdO9NPNfN1LaYKaq0Kr5%2FZu57kjRXfqWdi4kcJfpVbwII%2FZvGUmydwtZoy6QXXKIjoSSXP6eDaW9IqAOIXeKMCWPGibe4oIAlioJnT7PEyG0t35jVcc%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4rP99v4YA

6 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

like any italian tune up of ferodo  if its clutch or brake if bedding in or attempts at judder reduction if its smokes and smells a bit 

Is that a good idea for any pads Pete?. Also, will they bed in after time anyway (or is it like American muscle car camshafts, WONT)

Thank you, Peter!   Yes, new pads should be bedded in.  Not to conform them to the discs, but to raise them to operating temp and expel any remaining volatiles.

1155 is 'FastRoad' material; It's works best at a higher temp, but IMHO is equally good for the end of your road when cold.     1166 is out'n'racing stuff; very hard, needs to be very hot before it will bite.  Not recommended for road use at all!

John

23 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

image.thumb.png.7f067e7c566c6385fb65801cd6e3d0af.png

Always love these sort of guides.  Great for the hand full of people who live on quiet roads, about 1 mile from a quiet motorway.  It's only because on live right on the borough border that I can turn left and be in a 30MPH limit.  Turn right and it's 20MPH.

there are always speed humps that cause bedding problems to add to the speed restrictions  

maybe the rules were probably made before safety came to power 

does this help    Practical Tips – Mintex

and mintex hq is Cleckheaton, BD19 3UJ     not far from the M62   Ha !!!

Pete

######Cle

Pete  Cl  not far from M62   ha !!!eckheaton, BD19 3UJkheaton, BD19 3UJ