Aldon Amethyst programmable ignition

Iain T

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

you can mount the front engine mounts on the rear of the turret to gain rad clearance 

The bellhousing will probably hit the tunnel. I've had to use thick foam rubber on the tunnel to raise it up now. 

I'll take a look when I get back, leaving Southampton now for Bay of Biscay🤢

Iain 

I've done 8 trips thro the Bay as a youngen in the 50's on family trips to the UK and back, there's been some real roughens, mind you the liners in those days were only about 30,000tons.

Worse conditions have been experienced in the Great Australian Bite, between Adeliade & Freemntle and seen a swimming pool empty in one roll/dive/lift/heave!

16 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

fine on the bow at F7-8!

It's a bit choppy but not as bad as last time with 10m swell and 60mph wind. The ship corkscrewed for two days. Fortunately wife and I are OK with the rolling about....... 

Iain 

2 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

But what has this to do with an Aldon ignition - nothing I know.

It's the dreaded drift again!

Coins in the air with regards to ignition. If there are any widget programmers willing to (for presumably fee) help Aldon update their Amethyst please contact them. By default you would be helping us TSSC members. Aldon did say when they manufactured the last batch of 25 they sold in a couple of months so the demand seems to be there. 

Iain 

On 16/11/2022 at 12:16, Dick Twitchen said:

Try a destroyer at 3,500 tons; soup and stew the order of the day and I used to sanction putting the deep fat fryer out of bounds. 

But what has this to do with an Aldon ignition - nothing I know.

Dick

Sandwiches Only, one period, Until the Goanese assitant cook near took his hand off Making them. "Tomato Ketchup" Gentlemen?.🙄

Pete.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update. 

Early Christmas present from Distributor Doctor who rebushed and calibrated for my engine spec. Martin said it was way out for a 10.5 CR head. I fitted it today and it started after a few pulls. Martin said it may need 14 or more degrees advance so I set it at 14! Seems to spin up OK when driving around the multi storey car park. However I seem to have a clonk from around the bottom of the engine. I didn't check the end float of the distributor pedestal to drive gear if this is too tight or excessive float could this result in noise? From memory there isn't a gasket shim under the pedestal. 

Iain 

IMG_20221208_172019.jpg

No it's not advance knock. At tick over it's a slow knock as it's there when I retard the ignition. I'll take the pedestal off tomorrow and check clearance with a measured washer.

It was a bit nippy in the car park this afternoon perhaps it was my knees knocking😂. Double pants weather tomorrow..... 

Checked gap with a washer and there's 3 thou clearance between the pedestal and drive so that looks ok. Perhaps I'm being paranoid but I'll get my Dr Kildare kit out and have closer listen or just use the cheese in the ears method...... 

Time for a drive tomorrow when there are less idiots on the roads. What's the betting the new advance curve means more needle tweeking or changing!