Aldon Amethyst programmable ignition

Iain T

Finished sorting out the dash spaghetti so I need another challenge and excuse to play with my Vitesse. Has anyone fitted the above unit and is it reliable and worth the effort? I have the Pertronix (Aldon) Ignitor 2 fitted and this unit is apparently complimentary. I have a non standard engine and unknown dizzy advance and I like playing! 

Cheers

Iain 

Yes, I've been using one for quite a few years now, and it has been faultless.  Very easy to install and programme, and easy to make ignition curve changes on the fly, if you take your laptop with you and connect it to the unit and tune the curve as you drive.  All you need on the laptop is the Java application (you can download that from the internet) and you will need to use windows (hence needing to use a laptop). The only downside is that you can only use Windows; it won't connect to your phone.

Thanks for the info, I have a windows laptop I can use. Have you noticed a difference in engine performance and efficiency? Do you have electronic ignition? It does seem easy to install and I think they supply a standard curve for a Vitesse/GT6 as a starting point. 

Iain 

I've noticed better performance due to being able to tune the curve for best power/torque without pinking, so that must mean more efficiency I guess. No, I'm not using electronic ignition, just a new set of points in a wear free distributor that has the advance/retard locked together, as the Amethyst unit takes care of advance/retard, (both centrifugal and manifold vacuum) and the points themselves last forever, as they are now only dealing with milliamps.

Humm, £250...  If you're thinking of spending that much I'd probably just go the whole hog and swap to MegaJolt - in fact I did.

I can't see why the £450 Trigger Wheels GT6 kit wouldn't work on a Vitesse , and you can do it cheaper than that if you source individual parts yourself - http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/p169.html

That removes the distributor (and its wear/inherent inaccuracies) completely and made an amazing difference to the torque of the little 1300cc engine in my Spitfire.

• Thanks 1

Amethyst is off the table. I spoke to Aldon and they don't have any but more important it doesn't run on any later Windows software. Also it doesn't work with Ignitor 2 adaptive dwell. 

So if I do want to twiddle it's sorting the dizzy out with Distributor Doctor or Aldon or Megajolt. Megajolt being the most accurate and adjustable it seems by far the best option. Its very tight for space between the front pulley and electric fan so I'd have to be very sure as to installation before I jump. 

Iain 

17 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Amethyst is off the table. I spoke to Aldon and they don't have any but more important it doesn't run on any later Windows software. Also it doesn't work with Ignitor 2 adaptive dwell. 

So if I do want to twiddle it's sorting the dizzy out with Distributor Doctor or Aldon or Megajolt. Megajolt being the most accurate and adjustable it seems by far the best option. Its very tight for space between the front pulley and electric fan so I'd have to be very sure as to installation before I jump. 

Iain 

There are several 6 cylinder cars with megajolt or EFI, so it can be done. Nick Jones would be helpful here.

I used megajolt on my old zetec spit, and it is fitted to the MK3 I have (although that engine is coming out complete).

It is easy enough to work with, although the EDIS for a 6 cylinder will be a tad tricky to find at a reasonable price. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, it's true that Aldon will not support the Amethyst beyond WIN10 I think it is. I'd forgotten about that, sorry.

I'm running Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044 and it's fine. To be honest it does not really bother me as once I set up the unit with its advance curve, rev limit, etc, I have not touched it and it just works and does the job very well.

If I ever want to make changes I'll just dig out the old WIN10 laptop and use that to reprogramme the box.  But yes, I agree that it is an issue for a new purchaser. 

I've just spoken to the Distributor Doctor and if its only recalibration they will turn it around in a week and give me before and after curves. They need general engine and cam spec and using their years of experience will tweek the advance curve to be hopefully better than the currently unknown condition. The Megajolt is a step too far for me. 

Iain 

• Like 1

I can tell you for certain that Amethyst will connect to and converse with Windows 10, or more specifically, Windows10.0.19044 Build 19044 as in my case.

I've just been out to the garage and tried it, just to make sure I'm not going mad yet. Maybe some later Win10 editions are incompatible.

I locked the distributor points position by taking off the 2 springs and lock-wiring the base plate so it cannot move. All the Amethyst needs is for the points to open at some point to trigger the spark, and you get this by rotating the distributor until the points open, or you can leave as is and add extra static advance in the curve's advance table.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sparky_Spit said:

Windows10.0.19044

Interesting our laptop is Win10 22H2? It's all gobbledygook to me. I could ask if Aldon would permit a download to test. They did say one supplier still has a couple for sale. 

Ah found it 10.0.19044 is 21H2 from November 2021. If Aldon are up for it worth a punt. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T
Update

Generally there shouldn’t be breaking compatibility changes within one major Windows version. So something that will run on Win10 shouldn’t care about the revision. Something written for Windows 7 though for example will not be guaranteed to work on a later version.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Josef said:

Something written for Windows 7 though for example will not be guaranteed to work on a later version.   

The guy from Aldon said its OK on NT and very early Windows but couldn't guarantee it working on later versions. I'll phone them on Monday and share what they say. 

Thanks for everyone's help. 

Iain 

Just get an old laptop and install Win 7 or XP or whatever.

Or install it on a USB stick and just boot from that on your normal laptop when required.

Or you could try running in some sort of VM.

You could also get one of the programmable 123 distributors, but you do lose the Rev counter, so would need to get an electronic one adapted.

3 hours ago, thescrapman said:

You could also get one of the programmable 123 distributors, but you do lose the Rev counter, so would need to get an electronic one adapted.

Oh might be rubbing salt into the wound as I think Iain has just had his mech tacho rebuilt at a significant cost!!

11 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Oh might be rubbing salt into the wound as I think Iain has just had his mech tacho rebuilt at a significant cost!!

Very true! I'm going to send the dizzy to D Doctor and then do more research. I spent well over £100 for the Ignitor 2 and don't fancy junking it or getting 10p in the £ on Fleabay. The only accurate fully controllable system is something like Megajolt and as I said I'm not at that point...yet. Depends how bored I get as the wife won't let me buy anymore man toys! 

Iain 

I had one of the first Aldon Amethyst modules on my TR6, and it was set up on the Aldon rolling road as part of a magazine feature.

It's proved to be an excellent piece of kit, totally reliable. I've also got Amethyst on my GT6, again set up on the rolling road. On both cars, the optimum advance curve was the most advanced settings from the ranges quoted for a standard engine in the factory workshop manual.

Both the TR6 on Lucas PI and the GT6 on carbs run almost as smoothly and responsively as modern efi engines. Of course without accurate fuelling, mpg is probably not as good as efi would give.

Nigel

• Thanks 1

There does seem to be a gap in the market for a mappable ignition widget that retains a distributor with a tacho drive. The programmable 123 distributor plus a electronic tacho conversion would bring the price to north of £500. For a lot of owners the non standard look of a Megajolt is not acceptable. 

My engine and head is free revving and flowing with a cam that has the same timing and duration as standard but 260 thou lift on inlet and exhaust. 

Iain 

On 11/11/2022 at 10:29, Iain T said:

Megajolt...Its very tight for space between the front pulley and electric fan so I'd have to be very sure as to installation before I jump.

I got my trigger wheel mounted onto the rear of the crank pully, so well away from the radiator.  I'd recommend fitting a spacer ring between the pully and trigger wheel - something I didn't do and it's only by luck it JUST clears the steering rack!  A 3mm or 5mm spacer would put it in much clearer air, both from the rack and crank sensor to fan belt.

Been like it/fine for 10 years and many miles though.

41 minutes ago, Mjit said:

3mm or 5mm spacer would put it in much clearer air, both

Problem is I barely have enough gap between my rad and pulley bolt to get a fan belt on. Any closer and I'd have to unbolt the rad to change the belt.

Iain 

23 hours ago, Iain T said:

Problem is I barely have enough gap between my rad and pulley bolt to get a fan belt on. Any closer and I'd have to unbolt the rad to change the belt.

Iain 

I'm saying mount on the back/engine side of the pulley, not front/radiator side.