Another Hello!

I'm sure you've heard this all before..... 

I have eventually managed to retire and now have all the time in the world (that's what I thought anyway) to restore my 1978 Spitfire 1500 which I bought in pieces. (Mistake No1)

Unfortunately its a complicated jigsaw puzzle and whilst I can use a spanner I'm not an engineer so please forgive my probably daft / obvious questions. - There will be many. 

Thanks in advance

Stephen

ask away the only problems with asking is it may get drifted into something quite unexpected 

but help is just a few key strokes away there's more help on here than encyclopedia britanica   ha !

do you have any workshop manuals    if not get one on your Xmas wish list 

available from club shop or many suppliers 

Pete

Yes thanks Pete I have quite a selection the latest and newest favourite being Moss (others are available) as it gives better exploded views and parts in chronology (and it was delivered and free).

I have lots of examples where the wrong part has been fitted to my car or there isn't one at all so it's helped with a lot of that.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

38 minutes ago, Stephen T said:

I have quite a selection the latest and newest favourite being Moss

Parts catalogues are great but the one book you really need is the reprinted official Triumph/BL workshop manual. It tells you how to do things, and is more accurate than Mr Haynes or his competitors.

I find the factory manual sometimes assumes knowledge, and often that you’re in a fully equipped Triumph dealership! So having that along with a more DIY focussed one, yes even Haynes, is my preference. I had three, sometimes four, manuals open when doing a bunch of gearboxes recently. 

Anyway, welcome!

5 hours ago, Stephen T said:

I'm sure you've heard this all before..... 

I have eventually managed to retire and now have all the time in the world (that's what I thought anyway) to restore my 1978 Spitfire 1500 which I bought in pieces. (Mistake No1)

Unfortunately its a complicated jigsaw puzzle and whilst I can use a spanner I'm not an engineer so please forgive my probably daft / obvious questions. - There will be many. 

Thanks in advance

Stephen

Stephen I'm much the same.  In order of preference for help, this forum, sitting alongside the Moss catalogue for exploded drawings, the workshop manual, Haynes and finally and way way out last the Spitfire restoration manual!  Best of luck and photos as you go - please.

I spent quite a bit of time in Haynes Workshops and Printing Line at Sparkford back in the 80`s/90`s. All the Garage, and Some of the printing machinery was subject to H&SE statutory examination. The guys seemed very knowledgeable and it`s true what they said they virtually dissasemble every car they produce a Manual for. Met John Haynes on a couple of ocasions in passing.

The Vehcile collection there is (was) very impressive.

Pete

55 minutes ago, Josef said:

Oh, just seen your location @Stephen T. I’m about half an hour away so if you need a second pair of hands at any point feel free to give me a shout. 

Thanks very much I will take you up on that especially when I've seen the fantastic job you did on your Spitfire

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Snap it's on my bedside table to protect the top from any spills of water and coffee, started reading it and thought too rudimentary!

Yes my bedtime reading too is now a Spitfire manual - much raised eyebrows from Better Half 

23 hours ago, Neil Clark said:

Stephen I'm much the same.  In order of preference for help, this forum, sitting alongside the Moss catalogue for exploded drawings, the workshop manual, Haynes and finally and way way out last the Spitfire restoration manual!  Best of luck and photos as you go - please.

Thanks Neil agree about the restoration manual -

Will get some photos on once I work out how to do that here